Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the best price around in the UK for a new Ref 54 tenor? Nearly every shop that does discount has them at GBP 4800. The prices are crazy, to be honest, which is why I'm asking if anywhere has them lower.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
464 Posts
Does anyone know the best price around in the UK for a new Ref 54 tenor? Nearly every shop that does discount has them at GBP 4800. The prices are crazy, to be honest, which is why I'm asking if anywhere has them lower.
Have you tried Stuart MacDonald in Bradford? Excellent player and excellent shop/backup.
Try google cause I haven't a link at the moment.
I bought mine off him a couple, well 3 years ago. Ex demo, great horn, might be for sale!
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
870 Posts
GBP 4800 = USD $7,623.36. At first this seems very expensive. A check of Sax Forte's prices indicates that they charge $6,199.00 for a Ref 54 tenor. If the VAT is factored in, it's about the same price as in the UK. Deduct 19% VAT from $7.623.36 = $6,174.92 (I didn't verify, but I seem to remeber that it is 19%) The prices on these horns have increased lately.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Andrew, probably your best option would be to purchase through Matthews Music, he is based in the Netherlands and has an e-bay shop, the cost of a ref 54 tenor from him currently works out at about £4200.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Andrew I think Stewart will be hard to beat on price for new horns. I've always found him the cheapest in the UK and he knows his stuff too.
another +1 for Stuart here - his website is not great but the shop is a treasure trove, so give yourself plenty of time, take your mouthpiece & go visit. I've bought loads from him over the years, without any problems at all.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I have had about 7 or more horns from Stu,last time i was there he had a ex demo ref 54 in.I blew it.That was about 5 months back i think.He had in then about 12 MK6 tenors ,loads of MK6 Altos,plenty of SBA Selmers also.Any horn you want old or new he has it i bet.I asked to test any new yama Z's in, he pulled out a new gold,silver,black and UL Z and said theres more here if you want he said.Its crazy there,you feel like your going to blow up theres so much choice.He sticks you in a sound room and theres about 6 sax stands,he fills them with horns and they keep coming if you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts