Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After less than a week after switching from her beloved Selmer Ref.54 Kookaburra to a Conn 26M with the NY neck Amanda won an award for outstanding musicianship at the Reno Jazz Festival for her performance of 'Georgia on My Mind'.

Hope you enjoy!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,483 Posts
Eh, she plays like a gurrrrrrrrrrrrrl! :twisted:

Well, she is a girl! Right?? :mrgreen:

But seriously, that was very nice! Very, very well done! :cheers: :salute:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh, she plays like a gurrrrrrrrrrrrrl! :twisted: ........
Careful now..........she may be 5' nothing, but she has a 'tude & has an enforcer.....I mean boyfriend, that's probably 6' 2" :violent1:
:bluewink2:

Seriously, Thanks.
Though for the bands as a whole, they could have done better........getting there at 6pm the night before (after an 8 hour bus ride), and a 7:30am performance did not help any......there were some outstanding individual, award winning performances by the groups.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,211 Posts
Whoa, Reno Jazz Festival! Nice job, indeed. Good singing tone.

I played there '71, '72, and '73. Yeah, last century. :bluewink: Good memories, great experience.

Kudos to Amanda for her playing, and to you, Augie, for your support. What a great team!

·
5,483 Posts
Careful now..........she may be 5' nothing, but she has a 'tude & has an enforcer.....I mean boyfriend, that's probably 6' 2" :violent1:
:bluewink2:

Seriously, Thanks.
Though for the bands as a whole, they could have done better........getting there at 6pm the night before (after an 8 hour bus ride), and a 7:30am performance did not help any......there were some outstanding individual, award winning performances by the groups.
LOL! Thanks for having a sense of humor! I'm just a little bit jealous of that level of proficiency and feeling in someone that young. Sweet, sweet performance on a great tune! In spite of all the hurdles that were in the way - says much about Amanda's internal fortitude!

And oh, yeah, thanks for the warning! I like to actively avoid potentially hostile interactions with the enforcers! I don't care how tall they are!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, but it's all Amanda now.

The comments I get from professors/directors & 'mature' band members is not necessarily about her playing, but rather her maturity this last year.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Wow, that was really sweet! Beautiful tone and there's a lot of maturity, rather than flash, in her playing. Kudos to the both of you!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
A nice, round singing tone to her solo....emotional. Agree with scargo's comment about maturity. Weren't you looking for a mouthpiece for her some time ago? What did she get?

·
3,561 Posts
She sounds very nice!!

I have a 6M with the overslung "NY neck." I had no idea that they made 26Ms with that neck. Can you post pics of this horn? Serial #? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Just wonderful.She has a beautiful spirit!! Congrats. My girl Sadie is 4 and she amazes me every day. Isn't it cool to be a parent ? [lQUOTE=AmandasDad;2396791]After less than a week after switching from her beloved Selmer Ref.54 Kookaburra to a Conn 26M with the NY neck Amanda won an award for outstanding musicianship at the Reno Jazz Festival for her performance of 'Georgia on My Mind'.

Hope you enjoy!!

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A nice, round singing tone to her solo....emotional. Agree with scargo's comment about maturity. Weren't you looking for a mouthpiece for her some time ago? What did she get?
Paul Perez found her a Claude Lakey, 4*4 I believe, that was 'massaged' by our very own Jimmy Jensen (ucatenor).
Amanda is very lucky to have the piece as both Paul & Jimmy would have kept/bought the piece if Amanda did not like it.

She sounds very nice!!

I have a 6M with the overslung "NY neck." I had no idea that they made 26Ms with that neck. Can you post pics of this horn? Serial #? Thanks!
Amanda has the horn, so no serial numbers soon, but I can post some images tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wonderful.She has a beautiful spirit!! Congrats. My girl Sadie is 4 and she amazes me every day. Isn't it cool to be a parent ?
Rich, when you're in the thick of being a parent it is a roller-coaster ride, at least with me.
Trying to pass past experiences does always come across right.
Trying to get them to set goals and 'look into the future doesn't always work.
But somehow, they find their way, and when you step back (not always easy, at least for me)......yeah, it is pretty cool being a parent.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
My goodness, the change in her playing over the last 12 months is stunning! The 26M is just about the best alto ever made and she's more than doing it justice. As if that huge, singing tone wasn't enough, her rhythmic sense is outstanding — there's one part early on where she's dragging the bass along with her, showing him where the beat is — and she's showing a mature confidence in her ability, which is no small thing. Amanda's found herself instrumentally and she'll go far with it — as far as she wants to… Well done, Amanda!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,211 Posts
LNS, here are the images posted on CL by the seller...
That was a Craig's List horn? Sweet! Jackpot.

That's one cool lookin' octave key, but I digress.

Back on track... +1 regarding Amanda's immense improvement in the last year. Solid.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That was a Craig's List horn? Sweet! Jackpot.

That's one cool lookin' octave key, but I digress.

Back on track... +1 regarding Amanda's immense improvement in the last year. Solid.

Yup, a CL buy.
Seller had a Super-20 he liked better.
It's a relacquer, but has White Roo Pads & the seller said it was last worked on by Charles Gray (The Saxophone Whisperer).
I could not pass it up, though I tried to talk myself out of it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts