Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a play test of the new Ref 36 Flamingo today. I was knocked out, this is the first Selmer I have played in years that had me excited, far more so than the Ref 54 or Mk VI's I used to own. Selmer have got it right, the no High F# key really opened up the altissimo and cross registers range of this horn.

The sound was centred in all registers, consistent with a Buescher tenor and far smoother than the ref 54 or series III I test drove. The bottom end is big and resonant without being boomy. The top end is very dark and colourful in timbre and tone. Overall the sound is big, dark, resonant and incredibly Flexible. It is very 10M like in this regard.

The Keywork is better balanced for larger hands, the right hand spacing isn't as offset as it is on the ref 54 or series III model. I found that it fit my hands like a glove. The spatula mechanism is mor emodern than an SBA model and feels beautifully tight under the fingers, there was no sloppy tilting Bb mechanism.

Intonation was great, effortless even with the the Forked E and F notes. The timbre of these notes through to the alt range was consistent. This is something that is usually missing, even on a good mk vi. I am going to have to buy one of these horns, if not today as soon as I have organised the cash. This is the first modern horn that has really given me everything I have been looking for in terms of sound since the Keilwerth Straight tenor.

Anyone else had a play of these horns yet?
Who owns a standard ref 36 with the extra key?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
Oh great... thanks Bootman. Just what I need to know. You see... I've had some decent experiences playing modern Selmer tenors and would have bought a III, but for the F#3 key. Now I'm not gonna blow six and a half grand on a Flamingo, but you can bet I'll be keeping track of 'em on the second hand market. I was curious about them prior to your post, but now I have the feeling it's soon to become an obsession.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Bootman,
I played on two of them in Paris (at Selmer) after the North Sea Jazz Cruise, what can I say...they didn't float my boat! (sic). My new'ish 36 is still my favorite, even over my great '68 MKVI.

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a rule I prefer no High F# key on any sax I play, I find that it alters the Altissimo response and makes the horn sound brighter to my ears. I have primarily played saxes from the 30's for the last 10 years, with the exception of a later model Martin Magna. The 36 Flamingo is the first Selmer I have played in years that I am seriously thinking about buying, working out how I can afford one. The more modern ergonomics of the keywork didn't actually feel as foreign as they normally do.

The biggest difference when playing the 36 Flamingo was the bigness of tone in all registers, there was none of the compressed (focussed) sound that was present in the ref 54 or Series III models. The balance between registers was very Buescherlike, it didn't have a stuffy middle D that is so prominent on so many modern horns. It had a bigness of bottom end thatwas reminiscent of a good late 30's 10M with similar projection and better altissimo response.

This horn has got into my head. I dreamt about it last night, it is startign to haunt me. Before I get too far down this road I have to think about whether it will do me for every style of gig that I wish to play or will it be like the ref 54, great for a while and then the neck changing (8 in all), the search to get rid of that thin sound in the palm keys and alt. The 36 doesn't have this sound, nor do vintage tenors of the 30's. It is big and fat in the palm keys, solid as rock intonation wise and very, very playable.

More thought is required.

The first one is do I need another tenor.
Will I use it as my primary horn.
Can I justify the cost to the wife.

Bloody GAS!

·
4,147 Posts
When do you not need another tenor?

If you have more than one then why does it matter if it is your primary?

Can't help you with the last one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can't believe it cost $5,695????? WHAT THE HELL MAN! Yes I am a Selmer monopoly man but that is overboard. Does it come with a butler??? Does the horn get you drinks from the bar during gigs? I would have to do how many $100 gigs to pay for that thing? If you can afford this and or have one please tell me what you do for a living because its not a full time musician.

Okay, I feel better now:D

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Pure Magic said:
I can't believe it cost $5,695????? WHAT THE HELL MAN!
Is that the list price from the manufacturer or is that an actual price from a vendor?

·
Registered
315 Posts
gary said:
Is that the list price from the manufacturer or is that an actual price from a vendor?
I googled the flamingo Alto and got a hit from Woodwind and Brasswind through bizrate. How much have you seen it for?

·
3,536 Posts
They are so stubborn at Selmer. It took them 30 years to make another sax sans hi f# key! Duh! Just like family members who go for decades without talking to each other because of some petty argument.

·
25,985 Posts
Bootman said:
This horn has got into my head. I dreamt about it last night, it is starting to haunt me.
I got a plan, Bootman.
You buy it, then when you get your next horn, sell it to me.

Deal?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Pure Magic said:
I googled the flamingo Alto and got a hit from Woodwind and Brasswind through bizrate. How much have you seen it for?
I don't know, I was just asking because for me it doesn't matter what the manufacturer's posted price is, that's just eye candy. What's important is the "street" value and if the figure you posted is what a discount vendor is selling it for...:shock:.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
Bootman said:
The first one is do I need another tenor.
One always does.
(My expert opinion)

Bootman said:
Will I use it as my primary horn.
Doesn't matter. You need it.
(My expert opinion)

Bootman said:
Can I justify the cost to the wife.
That is unnecessary if you care about the horn and your wife cares about you.
(No expertise with wifes - sorry. Just my sentiment on what constitutes a good wife)

Unrelated - at that price, couldn't Selmer at least have made the neck socket without the cutout for the high F#???

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I tried my girlfriend's Dad's Ref 36 (non flamingo) for the first time, The way the low end played and sounded knocked me out.

I literally could barely sleep but a few hours a night and was full time consumed thinking about that sax for weeks. For weeks.

My girlfriend thought I was losing it...

Somehow I made it through without buying one...I have been close many times though.

I think I was even more tempted to buy a Flamingo Alto which I've never even played. I like the engraving much more and the price is only $100 more than a new standard Ref 54 alto (if you search).

Still crazy money though.

I read a few cases where people liked the Flamingos much more than the normal versions...could it be just that the Flamingos leave the factory with a much better set-up?

Bootman: I hope you can get some sleep!!!!

;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
gary said:
I don't know, I was just asking because for me it doesn't matter what the manufacturer's posted price is, that's just eye candy. What's important is the "street" value and if the figure you posted is what a discount vendor is selling it for...:shock:.
Too true "Hoff Boy."

OK, hold onto your wallets. Down Under, the RRP is on the upside of 12 Grand. The special, "because we know and love you" price, is on the upper side of 9 Grand.

Aussie dollar is currently around USD$ 0.90

Never been a better time to buy right??? :D

I went with Boot to try the horn. It really does sound markedly different to any other modern Selmer. Much more of a spread sound. Darker and fuller than the other Selmers. Comes with a free "hand bag" too!

IfI had that amount of spare $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lying around, I'd grab one on a heartbeat. Great sounding horn!!!

I'm hoping Boot buys it and has to hide it from the missus at my place for a while.

·
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grumps said:
I got a plan, Bootman.
You buy it, then when you get your next horn, sell it to me.

Deal?
Grumps, I hear you but I have a feeling that this horn would be staying with me quite a while. It took me 12yrs to sell my Beuscher tenor. I have stupidly sold many horns in the past that I have regretted.
Note to self, never sell Magna Low A Bari or Bass sax again.....sell kidney first!

Brasscane,
The problem is that the wife is a territorial animal and worse when it comes to the cubs. They can be very coldly logical an deven use sarcasm on you!

The only way I could justify it to her would be to sell a whole lot of other stuff to raise the cash.

Anyone want a great 10M? I will keep the tranny tenor, it will match my tranny Bari and alto.

Gary, you're correct street price is a very different thing to list price. I fear that my subconcious is winning and the little voice of reason is being beaten into submission.

Anyway I am off to a gig now and I will take the tranny bari to blow these impure thoughts from my head.........somehow I don't think it's going to happen.

I took Dogpants with me yesterday as an extra pair of ears and to try and keep some sanity and reason to my GAS attack......it didn't work..........I will Dog pants to bring the lump of 4x4 next time to sedate me. It may not work for long but it will allow me to escape and to think about it further.

·
25,985 Posts
Bootman said:
I have stupidly sold many horns in the past that I have regretted. Note to self, never sell Magna Low A Bari or Bass sax again.....sell kidney first!
I played that very same Magna, and yeah, you should be less at least one kidney...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
According to Kesslers website, only 40 tenors will be made available in the USA! I guess it will be hard to find a 'deal' if that is true...

1 - 20 of 261 Posts