Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what/how "reedy" sound is. Is there a youtube video that clearly demonstrates this? How do you avoid it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You’re probably using a too strong reed, I suggest you play more too get used to the size or go down a size for your reeds. I personally found playing legere synthetic reeds fix this for me, try buying one and see how it works for you.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm not sure what/how "reedy" sound is. Is there a youtube video that clearly demonstrates this? How do you avoid it?
Sound descriptors are always subjective – here's what I would describe as a "reedy" sound:

When I hear this kind of sound – if I make this kind of sound – it's often because I've got a reed that's too firm. If I've ruled that out as a cause, I then check if the reed is warped and therefore not sealing. And then I either toss the reed out or file the crap out of it (or choose a softer one).

Additionally, if I find I'm playing lines as hip as Stephen Riley's lines – I quickly realize that I'm dreaming, and try to not wake myself up.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'd call that sub-toning. I find I can sub tone easier with a softer reed. You're right, it's hard to describe a sound.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
A reedy sound is one that is created on a reed instrument, such as the saxophone. Next question...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts