1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
good ones :) (sorry couldn't resist!) :D

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Hemke 3 (classical alto) and Fibracells (jazz alto) in different strengths depending on tip opening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Alexander Superial and Superial DC

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alto reeds. Clarinet ones...they just don't work.

Speaking of clarinet...anyone ever bored down the shank of an alto or soprano mouthpiece and stuck it on a clarinet? Seems kinda like a neat idea.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
For jazz type stuff, I keep coming back to Java #3 1/2 on alto and tenor, and V16 #4 for classical type stuff.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Javas and Fibracells mostly with the exception of sop.. I just use blue box reeds.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Hemkes. They don't last very long though...and I use Rico Royals on my jazz pieces. I think that the type of reed and the type of mouthpiece that you use go hand in hand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
seriously, now you have a list of names and sizes (there are many more but does it matter?). You are no wiser than you were before. You could have been running a search on Google or within this forum (saxophone reeds on google returns 1.950.000 results ) and get a list of all the reeds produced in the world which come mostly in all the possible sizes. Anyway this won't tell you how these reeds perform with your horn , mouthpiece and embouchure and which sizes might you be able to use or prefer. On top of everything they might not be available to you to try (hence the lack of opportunity to buy a few before you buy a whole package only to dicover that they are not to your liking). Seriously, start trying what is available to you, then, if you are dissatisfied, read all the many topics on reeds and maybe start ordering some on internet if they are not available in the shops near you. Like most things concerning saxophone items, you can either make do with what you have or start an endless search. Best of luck.;)

·
Registered
Antigua Winds: SS 3159 Curved Soprano , Pro One Alto & Tenor w/Cryo Necks, BS 3220 low A Baritone
68 Posts
Rico Plasticovers on all horns, 2nd choice are Vandoren V16s a half strength softer.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
SpeckledLemon said:
Alto reeds. Clarinet ones...they just don't work.

Speaking of clarinet...anyone ever bored down the shank of an alto or soprano mouthpiece and stuck it on a clarinet? Seems kinda like a neat idea.
Yes, it sounds tubby and bright and not as pleasant as a clarinet mouthpiece. The mouthpiece was a HR Link alto mouthpiece that had the bore shaved down so a metal band could be put around it to repair a crack, resulting in a shank that perfectly fits into the barrel of a clarinet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hand-carve my own from the planks of used Grimsby kipper boxes. On an appropriate mouthpiece I find they produce a uniquely smoky timbre.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hemke 3 1/2 - Jazz/Classical Soprano
Vandoren Java 3 - Jazz Alto
Zonda 3 1/2 - Classical Alto
Vandoren Java 3 - Jazz Tenor
Vandoren Blue Box 4 - Classical Tenor
Fibracell Medium Hard - Jazz Bari
Vandoren Blue Box 4 - Classical Bari

..... and for the others :

Rico Grand Concert Select 3 1/2 - Jazz/Classical Clarinet