Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually have 12 reeds next to me when practicing/playing (Vandoren/MARCA Rico...)
Mostly after playing a few minutes, most reeds start to sound dull -
- suck with water........I dont like the sound anymore and change reeds
Only a few reeds dont start to sound dull after playing them some time

Is there a way to avoid that ?

I keep the reeds after playing in a reedguard.....

· Registered
4,104 Posts
It's possible you are closing off the reed ( biting ) either because it's too soft or even too hard.

If the reed is too soft you could be bending it to the point where it loses it's vibrancy.

If it's too hard you are bending it to make it easier to play.

Try to keep the same position up and down the horn and especially the upper register.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,411 Posts
I frequently play four-hour gigs on one reed - that's three one-hour sets. I use a .120 mouthpiece with a Rico Select Jazz 3S, unfiled. Sounds like your reeds are way too soft for you. Try this; get some hydrogen peroxide from the drugstore - pour a little in a cup and use it on an old toothbrush to gently clean and moisturize your reeds about an hour before you will need them - put them back in the Reedguard. This really has little to do with your problem but at least you'll be starting out with clean, fresh, straight and moisturized reeds. I suspect you may have been soaking them, which is something I never do. If the reeds continue to die quickly, you'll have to try different kinds/strengths. Do not try to advance more than a half strength in a 90 day period. Even with this limitation, you can find plenty of reeds that will be probably too hard. For example, the Java reeds tend to be stiffer and the regular Ricos tend to be softer - in the same number, of course.

· Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,061 Posts
I usually have 12 reeds next to me when practicing/playing (Vandoren/MARCA Rico...)
Mostly after playing a few minutes, most reeds start to sound dull -
They could be swelling due to moisture, this is very common. Scraping the underside with a sharp blade will do the trick:

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,614 Posts
Have you tried synthetics? Much more consistency in my experience, plus the fact that you do not have to cart around & fuss over all those reeds.

· Registered
15 Posts
I have had some luck with using a flat metal file and running the underside of the reed over it a few times. It cleans the crud off the bottom of the reed, takes some of the warps and bends out of it, and sometimes will breathe just enough new life into a reed to revive it.

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. But it has been known to save a reed or two.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS for all the Tips ....I already did use a knife to flatten the reed I will try it with sandpaper.......I think there are just some reeds who still take to much water and then soundbad ..?

Tom

· Registered
674 Posts
Yeah reeds can be difficult from time to time. You should never let them dry out completly or leave them in water too long either. Also try breaking new reeds in five to ten minutes a day in the mid to lower to mid to upper register don't overplay on it too soon. This has helped me with many new reeds and the reed holder or case also is important how you store them after playing. Good luck. Take care

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep my reeds in a plain RICO Reedguard , I think reeds automatically dry out after some hours........Even with new reeds I have that problem with dullnes /
I think some reeds just take to much water ? or are just bad?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.