Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying a Jody jazz hr* 6* tenor mpc for a little while and it plays well but it tends to sound brighter than I would like. I have tried many styles and strenghts of reeds on it. Rico royal 3 seems to work well. maybe I should go to 3.5 to get it darker? I also have tried vandoren blue box. I am thinking that 3.5 royal might be the limit of strenght that I could play on that mpc? i was hoping to be slightly brighter than a otto link tone edge rubber which it is but I would like it to be somewhat darker than how I am sounding now. I am hoping I can fix this with reeds and not having to buy a larger tip opening.

·
Registered
564 Posts
What brand of sax are you playing? JJ will lean towards bright. Also what ligature are you using? I think the JJ has a smaller chamber and the baffle may make it go towards bright.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well, it sounds like you want something in between a Link and the Jody Jazz. I think that since you've already tried multiple reed brands, you are dealing with the inherent nature of the piece. Try a Meyer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not having much luck getting this piece to work well? I am going to return it and maybe go back to otto link tone edge rubber? This is on a 1973 buffet super dynaction tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
You could also try a Morgan L chamber piece.
If your playing a 6* JJ then a Morgan 7* would be about right.
These are far better made and faced than the JJ hard rubber pieces IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
NO NO NO...reeds should never make you sound "darker." Those would be dead reeds. you need, generally speaking, a mouthpiece with some combination of a larger chamber and lower baffle and a horn with no resonators. THATS IT. And your general playing concept also has a lot to do with it. But the reed NEEDS to be bright. A horn with old dried out pads can also make you sound a lot darker, but you will be miserable and struggling with it.

That Jody Jazz mp has a very small chamber and a very high rollover baffle. That is an extremely bright combination. Try an Otto Link tone edge. They are dark and tubby, with larger chambers and excavated floors. That would be better for you too.

·
Administrator
17,268 Posts
For me Rico Royals are dark, but you already tried them on the JJ. So I guess you can better go back to the Link TE with a brighter reed. If that doesn't work start a new search to a better mouthpiece fit for what you're looking for.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Rather than chasing boutique mouthpieces at this point, I would try the Link HR (maybe you already have this and want brighter sound), Meyer (slightly smaller chamber and slightly brighter sound than Link), and Brilhart Ebolin. If you can tell which of these gets you what you want, then maybe you can chase the boutique pieces, but until you know what general type of configuration will give you what you want, that seems like a way to spend a lot of money chasing your tail.

It seems to me that if you go on the expensive boutique MP hunt with information like "I want something that responds and sounds like my Brilhart with a 0.095" tip, but just a bit better" that's a lot more information to target your search.

Who knows, you might well find a $75-150 mouthpiece that works just fine. That's what I did.

My impression from reputation (have never played one) is that the Morgan pieces are quite good and reasonable in price, too. They are, I believe, modeled after the Meyer design mostly.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Junkdude (owner of Morgan Mouthpieces) offers a 10 day trial. That would allow OP to have the mouthpiece long enough to see if it fits his needs. If it is not the one, then all he is out is shipping and a $10 restock fee. Here is the link to his return policy:
https://www.junkdude.com/pages/about-us

1 - 10 of 10 Posts