Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started playing on a new box of reeds. I started to break in them and on the second day of using them I noticed they smelled strange, they often do. Reminds of yeast. I suppose this could mean they are starting to mold. They still play as new reeds but they may not last very long and I don't want to buy a new box to soon.

My break in process:
I take four reeds out of a box and seal the pores (rub both sides against a piece of paper) and put them in water for a while. Then I rotate and play them for a few minues each. Before I put them in my Rico universal reed case (with a humidity pack, 73%) I clean them of with water and let them dry on a paper towel for a while so that they are not being to wet when I put them away.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,789 Posts
start cleaning them better before putting them away. Hydrogen peroxide (in a mouthwash dilution) or medicated Mouthwash or even Alcohol would do. A drop or two in a glass of water of bleach will also keep them clean but they would taste of chlorine.
 

·
Moderator
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
Joined
·
28,876 Posts
The humidity pack may be the problem. They can be good to counteract very dry climates or air conditioned environments, but if you are already in a fairly humid place, they are unnecessary and may cause the reed to stay too damp for too long.

having said that, I think it's odd that they should get mouldy after one day. I suppose the mouldy smell could happen before you actually see any real mould or mildew. I don't think mould on reeds is harmful, but it's not something you really want, so I would clean off with the mouthwash and then try just storing them without the humidity pack.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
6,862 Posts
Congrats on winning the 2011 unintentionally hilarious thread title award...the possibilities are endless!:bluewink:

I don't know about the humidity pack gizmo, but it sounds like you're doing it just right. I live in a very humid area, and so my reeds all eventually get that black stuff in the core. No yeast smell, though.

Could be something off with the reeds--something in the cane that shouldn't be there?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
dont seal the pores until you've broken them in a little, when they are close to where you want them then seal them (the introduction of moisture is one of the elements that promotes "breaking in".
Avoid hydrogen peroxide (or at least heavily dilute it) if you want them to last a long time.
What about "selection"?
Let them air dry a bit before storage.
Unless you live on the fringe of a desert, I find the "humidity pack" reed storage stuff a waste of time and unecessary. If you go b ack to a regular reed holder do new reeds still smell?

What makes you speculate that they may not last very long?
Do they look funny? Mold usually looks like black areas or streaks ...
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,789 Posts
in a mouthwash dilution Hydrogen peroxide is not harmful to your mouth or your reeds ,
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
mouthwash has alcohol and astringents that harm your reeds if not heavily diluted. Good for your breath though.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
32,927 Posts
The humidity pack may be the problem.
I live in a arid region and still get black funk on reeds when using tight-fitting reed cases with humidifier packs.

I tossed 'em.

"Get the funk outta here!"
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
I live in a arid region and still get black funk on reeds when using tight-fitting reed cases with humidifier packs.

I tossed 'em.

"Get the funk outta here!"
yes, I find the Vandoren cases that seal up nice will promote mold if reeds are not aloowed to air dry a litle before you close it up, especially if all 4 reeds are wet.
Similarly the protec reed cases promote mold on the litle strip that goes accross the vamp.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,789 Posts
mouthwash has minute percentages of alcohol and is mostly water, therefore it is already heavily diluted. Some players here have often said that they use vodka or other spirits that is not heavily diluted.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,789 Posts
which means that 72% is not alcohol........... other mouthwashes have less
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
depends what tye of reed prepare you are. If you are the kind of player that pays a reed a few times before moving on then okay (alot of good players tend to do this).
If you are like me and want a reed to last 6-8 weeks in a rotation, then not a good idea. If I have an old funky reed I want to pep up for show or session the old peroxide trick does the job, but will die a quick death shortly thereafter, especially when allowed to dry out.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
Joined
·
19,200 Posts
Did you ever stop to think that the strange smell may not be from the reeds themselves but rather from your own mouth?
Use the mouthwash before you start playing.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
32,927 Posts
Sheesh, guys. Run out of interesting things to argue about?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,789 Posts
well I would expect at least some quotes of why any of these things should be harming the reeds, instead of just saying things.

My good friend Dr G I will remember to quote you this thread the next time that you argue metal science or some other of your favourite arguing bits.......I think you are no stranger to arguing yourself :bluewink:
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,789 Posts
Did you ever stop to think that the strange smell may not be from the reeds themselves but rather from your own mouth?
Use the mouthwash before you start playing.
the mouth is supposed to be one of the parts of our body where most bacteria and fungi are..........
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
593 Posts
Sheesh, guys. Run out of interesting things to argue about?
at least they arent arguing grammer.

since smell is often cused by stuff "thats a technical term" on your tongue. a little on your reed could smell too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halitosis, in the absense of oxygen it gets worse (the case maybe). id say in additon to the mouthwash in your mouth, maybe a tongue scraper to get a lot off.

according to the middle school sax teacher, your all doing your reeds wrong. according to her, just lick the end and put it on.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
Joined
·
19,200 Posts
Yes, mouths are 'dirty'. Some bacteria are supposed to be there to aid in 'pre-digestion'. These are GOOD bacteria.
It's the BAD bacteria that you want to keep under control.
Stinky reeds and mouthpieces are usually because of 'questionable' oral hygene. Work in a school band setting where the kids have class right after lunch.
It doesn't take long for those horns to develop some SERIOUS funk. :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
I keep my reeds in Vandoren reed cases with the charcoal tube but during the winter months I use a piece of cellulose sponge soaked in Listerine instead.

I never have problems with mold or mildew and my reeds are at a good humidity level.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top