Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two Links, both alike in dignity,
In a fair practice room, where we lay our scene...

I play a late Florida Link refaced by the Mouthpiece Guys, have for a long time. In a recent equipment trade, I acquired a contemporary rubber Link made using a Slant cavity mold, also done by the Mouthpiece Guys.

I'm generally a metal Link player, but for kicks I tried out the Slant copy today. Nearly every reed I put on the thing played very well! I was somewhat stupefied, as I spend so much time fussing with reeds on the metal piece.

Sure, many reeds play okay on the metal Link, but they are rarely great. I did a few side-by-side comparisons using the same reed on each piece. The results? It seems that the metal Link exacerbates a reed's imperfections (ahem, "unique characteristics"), while the rubber Link overlooks them -- in a good way. What's going on here?

For my own sanity, I think I may end up switching to the Slant copy.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I flirted with metal for a while, but I'm back to HR on all my horns.
I like it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,321 Posts
I sometimes find that I'm "pickier" with reeds on my main mouthpieces simply because I'm so sensitive about how it is supposed to play. The more I "learn" a mouthpiece the more I expect from it.

...or maybe your new mouthpiece is just a better mouthpiece.

·
6,862 Posts
alas, poor your link!

I play an STM on tenor and a tonemaster HR on alto. I find them both really reed fussy, in fact I'm not sure I've ever found a reed that works consistently on the HR. They tend to strut and fret for an hour or so on the table and then will play no more. However have a box of 20yr old Lavoz mediums that seem made for my STM. They're just dreamy, but I'm down to five: four are in my reed case and are fading fast and one that I'll be sad to finally break in :shock:

R.

·
480 Posts
I note that the rubber one was refaced- how about the STM? An STM with a good facing, either stock or refaced, should not be reed-picky.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blackfrancis said:
I note that the rubber one was refaced- how about the STM? An STM with a good facing, either stock or refaced, should not be reed-picky.
The Mouthpiece Guys refaced both Links, and they did what appears to be a beautiful job on both -- hence my confusion. In theory, the refaced STM would be no more or less reed picky than the hand-finished Slant copy.

Additionally, I played a modern Tenney-perfected STM for a few years before this Florida piece and had a similar dilemma: many decent reeds, but rarely a great one. Maybe it's something with the way I blow into a metal piece? Or maybe sinkdraiN is right, and I am just too keenly attuned to the subtle differences on the STM because I have been playing it for a few years.

·
6,862 Posts
Hey, they don't pay me the big bucks for nuthin' down at the English department! Actually they don't pay me down at the English department!:shock:

Rory

I used to have this line (spoken by Lady MacB*** in the Scottish Play) stuck to the underside of my toilet seat:

"Why do you make such faces? You look but on a stool."

Wouldn't want to let years of higher education go to waste, so to speak.

R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.