Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i've just noticed, that when i soak my brand new vandoren reeds into water, when they are drying, they make tiny crackly noises...anyone know what that means..?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
hey guys, i've just noticed, that when i soak my brand new vandoren reeds into water, when they are drying, they make tiny crackly noises...anyone know what that means..?
You have good hearing?!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
It's just random gangs of bacteria fighting for what remains of the water supply...lobbing tiny little microbial hand grenades and such at each other. Nothing to worry about. By the time you put that thing in your mouth again there won't be anything left of the bacteria but skeletal remains. A little extra flavor...no extra cost. You only need to worry if you hear your reeds crackling BEFORE you put them into water. That would be a sign of termites.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
Someone replaced your reeds with Rice Krispies!!

It's probably just little air bubbles under that little film of water that you are hearing pop.

·
5,444 Posts
I'm with the great ears crowd! Only time I hear any "cracking" I guarantee you, it isn't good unless I'm throwing the reed away!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
most of my joints make crack sounds as well , so far they are still working. I suggest you do the same with the reeds, use them as long as they work.......... compliments for the hearing though and you must live in a pretty isolated area with no background noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, you guys are funny lol, my hearing is okay xD
but occasionally the pop is kinda loud so i realize it LOL, and its good to know its okay, and i think it doesnt really do much, but still kinda wonder what is causing the bubbles tho LOL
(im betting on air bubbles?)

·
2,144 Posts
Hmm, i dont really feel comfortable sanding or polishing brand new reeds lol...
Don't confuse polishing with sanding. Polishing doesn't remove any cane from the reed, it merely "seals" the grain on the underside of the reed and creates a very smooth surface. I ALWAYS polish my reeds before I use them. It helps prevent the buildup of saliva on the flat side of the reed, which helps prevent that "spitty" sound that so many players complain about. Polishing the reed can be done as simply as laying it flat on a piece of white paper (on a hard flat surface), and rubbing it back and forth. There's very little chance of chipping or damaging the reed in any way.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I also use the plain sheet of copy paper polishing technique. I find that if I soak the reed for 10 minutes then blow into the reed from the butt end the water will bubble at the exposed grain. I then seal the areas of the bubbles with the top of my fingernail. I don't do it on all of my reeds, only the ones that seem to get waterlogged quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is what i normally do: soak the reeds in water for a minute, take them out and air dry them. after they are completely dry i soak them again, (repeated for about 3-5 times) then i play 5 minutes on each reed, and maybe soak it 1 more time after that...
the reeds all sound great after, (well not all i guess...) but occasionally they die too fast xD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts