Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here play a Vandoren V5 S25 mouthpiece on soprano? If so, what brand/strength reed do you play?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
For that tip, which is about a 6, I would use Java/Red Java/ZZ #3 or Blue Box & V21 #2.5. You can go up a half strength if necessary.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I no longer use the Vandoren V5 S25, but I did for a number of years. I had success with the Vandoren, Blue Box, in 2.5 and 3.
Thanks, that's very helpful! That's exactly the strength that I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For that tip, which is about a 6, I would use Java/Red Java/ZZ #3 or Blue Box & V21 #2.5. You can go up a half strength if necessary.
Thank you! I was thinking about a 3 Blue Box, maybe. I'm actually going to start with a synthetic reed but I'm not really sure what strength to get.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thank you! I was thinking about a 3 Blue Box, maybe. I'm actually going to start with a synthetic reed but I'm not really sure what strength to get.
I have little experience of synthetics apart from a Legere Signature alto reed I recently bought. If it's of any value, on alto, a 3.25 Legere Sig was equal to an average #3 Blue Box, which means Legere's strength chart is at least accurate for alto!
Here's their comparison chart.

Legere Reeds Saxophone Strength Chart.jpg

·
Registered
564 Posts
The only synthetic sop reed I have is a Forestone White Bamboo #3. I tried it on my S25 and it plays just a little softer than a Vandoren Traditional #3.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I played on the vandoren v16 reeds 12 years. Then i have find out the rigotti reeds... They are just brlliant! Maybe you have to try some other brands then vandoren?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,875 Posts
I use an S25 with Legere 2.5 or 2.75 Signature cut reeds.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I use Vandoren Traditional (blue box) 3's on my S25.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use Legere signature 2 and 2 1/4 for tenor but have not used a Legere for soprano and use a Marca 2 1/2. I wonder if a Legere Sig 2 1/2 would work.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, all. I have some ZZ 2 1/2's that are ok but I really want to go the synthetic route. I have a Hartmann Carbon Classic MH that's just a bit too hard. I think that I'm going to try a Legere 2.5 per Merlin's suggestion. I'm spoiled to synthetics on tenor because they've just taken the reed factor out of the equation. The downside is the initial expense of experimenting but Legere has the return policy, so there's that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts