Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately (for about the last year or so), I've been playing on a Vandoran T75 gold mouthpiece, with my '64 Mark VI. I love, love, love the sound (for jazz at least). I use this piece for jazz mostly, but it serves me well on rock & roll and even a few ska gigs. It gives a warm, dark, rich tone. The only problem is that I can hardly ever get a reed to work well the piece. When I find a good reed, the sound is like no other. But I can go through boxes of reeds without finding a single one that will work well. I can usually get a few to be ok with sandpaper, reed rush, etc, but very, very few actually speak well. I had the mouthpiece worked on a while back and opened up a bit, which helped...but not enough.

I used to play on La Voz reeds, while I was using my old piece (a Dukoff D6). When I switched to the Vandoran, La Voz didn't work. Nor did any Vandorans, Ricos and the like. I tried Rigotti Gold, Alexander Superials (and DCs) and got mixed results. The only reeds that worked well, with any consistency were some ancient Ricos and Hemkes that are older than I am (literally). I've started letting my reeds age, but I need some to play in the meantime. I don't want to go to a different piece, because I love the sound that I get with this one. But if I can't get the sound consistently, well, I may have to. Anybody else have similar problems/solutions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,265 Posts
Hi, I'm using Hahn #2.5 Regular and #2.5 Kevlar with my T75 and I'm very satisfied.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,694 Posts
I like Rico Royals on my T75.
Rico Select Jazz work OK after a little shaving at the base.
But the Royals seem to work straight from the box for me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I use Red Javas 2 1/2 on my T75, which I tend to need to scrape to thin them a bit. Above all, they need a long break in before they really speak. Maybe this is the answer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts