Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just trialed few hard rubber mouthpieces for tenor. I had a Selmer Soloist E, Selmer Soloist F and the new HR Vandoren V16 T7 for trial. I don't know why but I really like the Soloist E.. Very personal sound, easy to play, decent projection and unbeliveable control.

I tried different reeds and got _very_ different responses and sounds (from very stuffy to free-blowing and from extra dark to semi-bright). The best reed was a Vandoren Java 2.5. Nice sound with a bit of brightness and sparkle to the sound ;) But when playing louder the notes "break" so it's a bit too soft I guess.. I also tried Rico Royal 3's (stuffy as......) and some V16 2's. What reeds are you using with Soloist mouthpieces (for tenor)? And what reed would be similar to Java (in terms of brightness)?

Cheers!
-TH

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I use hemke 3s w/ my C** soloist. Rico jazz selects would probably be similar to a java. I would think cause of the bigger tip opening of a E a Hemke 2 1/2 would work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
565 Posts
I've been using plain Ricos (orange box) and I think they work great on my SS. I've used Alexander Superial "DC" reeds as well and they also sound very nice. Only thing about the DC reeds is that they are expensive and only 2 in a box play.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try These.

I Love them. Brancher. Their is a small, special one of a kind breed of cane in France from which these reeds are made. Very responsive, can play clear bright or soft expressive from the soul. I play a Reference Alto and Tenor and have many mouthpieces some custom, and these reeds are simply the best I have ever found. P.S. I am looking for a Bobby Dukoff D-9 if any one see's one available. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts