Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what reed you metal C* owners use? I have a mix of Vandoren 3's, Rico Reserve Classic 3's and Grand Concert Select 2.5's. The piece I found on eBay for less than half of what WWBW wants for it arrived just yesterday and I'm guessing I need some time to get used to it. The Grand Concert Selects seem to be best so far AND I think once I get used to the piece, I am going to love it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I guess there are not too many metal C* owners around. But I can see why Marcel Mule played it and why Fred Hemke still plays it. I am going to stick with the Grand Concert Selects for now. An interesting thing...I think the new metal C*'s have the horseshoe/arched chamber. This one must be an old one, as it is round. I am convinced now that Ralph Morgan is right: round chambers are best.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you've got it covered reed wise. Maybe try Hemke or Alexander Classique if you want to explore further possibilites.
Hmmmm...I was thinking about Hemke. Maybe I will give them a try too. They are a bit cheaper. AND....WWBW states they are very suited for round chamber mouthpieces. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the metal C* for your Buescher TT Soprano and what style of music is it for ?
The metal C* is for my alto. Primarily used for classical work although I might start using it everywhere.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hemke's...in a 3 strength....If they are good for the Northwestern U legend that designed them and for the metal C* then they are the reeds for me. Got a box at our local music store. Time to get 2-3 boxes at better online prices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts