Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any specific reeds that have good synergy with the Rascher mouthpiece for alto saxophone? I'm picking the mouthpiece up tomorrow and while I'm there I might as well get some reeds to try out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rico Reserves have been pretty mouthpiece friendly on many of my mouthpieces, one of which is a Buescher mouthpiece that is pretty similar to a Rascher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,148 Posts
Blue Vandorens are definitely the established standard, as stiff as you can play. The point is to get something that won't buzz in any register, and won't collapse when you go for the high harmonics.

I've heard (Ra/Bue)scher fans say good things about Marcas and Glotins as well.

I have the equipment but not the teaching. I generally use Alexander yellow tin 3 1/2s on these pieces. They will probably sound too middle of the road for your needs.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Saintsday's recommendation on Facebook...

Rascher_Reed.jpg

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I really like Legere synthetics. Made it all the way through a classical performance degree with Rascher/Legere setups across the board, even when one professor kept pushing C*/Blue Box. I won him over.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I really like Legere synthetics. Made it all the way through a classical performance degree with Rascher/Legere setups across the board, even when one professor kept pushing C*/Blue Box. I won him over.
Are those the standard Legeres, or the Legere Signatures? (I assume they couldn't be the Legere Studio Cut.)

The regular Legere for alto sax is the hardest reed known to man! Way above even blue box at the same number.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Are those the standard Legeres, or the Legere Signatures? (I assume they couldn't be the Legere Studio Cut.)

The regular Legere for alto sax is the hardest reed known to man! Way above even blue box at the same number.
I've been using regular Legeres. The Signature line wasn't out when I was in school, and I just haven't seen fit to try them now. Use the strength chart on the Legere website to find the closest match for you. For example, the Vandoren blue box 3.5 is a little harder than a Legere 3.0.

EDIT: Strength Charts

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I've been using regular Legeres. The Signature line wasn't out when I was in school, and I just haven't seen fit to try them now. Use the strength chart on the Legere website to find the closest match for you. For example, the Vandoren blue box 3.5 is a little harder than a Legere 3.0.
Yes, I used to play the regular Legeres on several different saxes, and clarinet. (On alto, I could manage a 2.75 if I was really playing a lot. 2.5 was more comfortable. 3.0 was like playing a reed made out of the same material as the mouthpiece!) After a while, however, I decided that they really only worked well for me when I was playing all by myself at home, and could put a very dark, quiet sound to good use. In ensemble settings, when I needed more projection and the ability to play a broad variety of music, I found the reeds too dead. Legere Signatures are livelier, but still controllable for me, on alto, tenor, and soprano. I also like Forestones, on alto. Legere Studio Cuts are louder and easier to blow, but too bright. I also find both Legere Sigs and especially Forestones to be more responsive than regular Legeres, because they have thinner tips. Anyway, congratulations on successfully defying the synthetic reed stereotype at your school!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I thought the Rascher/Legere was beautifully dark, and definitely what's expected of a "Rascher School" setup. So dark and smooth, responsive from top to bottom. I might need to give the Signature a try, but I really dig the regulars.

On a side note, the Studio Cuts are great on my JodyJazz Classic alto and tenor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts