Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am currently experimenting with reeds for a 7* FLorida tenor STM Link I bought last week.

Most reeds I tried are excellent for Jazz but I also play lots of funk and I need good articulation and something solid in the high register with an easy altissimo.

So far, results are quite unclear, as no brand seems to work best than the others.
I found few excellent ones : RJS 3M and 3S, Java 2.5, Alexander NY 3.
Unfortunately, one reed works but the 2 or 3 others of the same brand give completely different results. Confusion ...

Seems that Floridas are somewhat picky on reeds ;-)

Can you share your experience?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far it seems that (some)RJS 3S or Java 2.5 are excellent.
Any other recommendation from experienced Florida 7* players?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The Florida STM is picky because the rails aren't much truer than the newer models. My No-USA STM has been refaced by EZ and it plays any reed well. But over the last year, I've really tended toward Fibracells. When I add a Rovner dark lig, I get a really full lush tone and this setup is very very easy to blow. It seems to be the Lazy man's way to have great tone. Here's a sound clip:

http://cierra.cc/ev_demo2.mp3

I also recently acquired a No-USA Florida STM for alto. I'm am still experimenting with reeds for that one. But I really like the Rico Plasticover and stock STM lig. Here's a sound clip of that one:

http://cierra.cc/altocomp1.mp3

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks RHP57 and Enviroguy,

In fact, after many hours of experimentation, most of the reeds do perform quite well with this wonderful piece. The only remaining problem concerns the altissimo register and the front E and F. I really want to feel at ease with this.
As I am coming from a D.Guardala (incredible easy altissimo) , these notes are not yet coming out yet with 100% confidence. As it is generally admitted, I tried some harder reeds and indeed, I find that F.Louis or ZZ 3.5 make a huge difference in this domain. Of course, more chops needed ;-)
So, still experimenting ...
More advice welcome.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Do you adjust your reeds? If so, great; if not, consider learning.

Regarding the altissimo, for me (and I stress that this is for me), more mouthpiece in the mouth helps.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the various inputs.
Rigotti are also indeed working quite well.
Now, I still have to work with my Florida to get the best out of it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
Thanks for the various inputs.
Rigotti are also indeed working quite well.
Now, I still have to work with my Florida to get the best out of it.
I always get my florida links checked by a refacer if I even have a doubt. Sometimes I hear back that the facing is fine. Sometimes it's totally wacked. It might be a good idea to have someone look at it and measure it to see. If a mouthpiece is picky with reeds then that is a warning sign for me that everything might not be cool with the facing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts