Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was talking to some of my other sax buddies and we were on the discussion of reeds. I said I played a med soft fibracell. Immediatley they said if you use fibracells that your embouchure will crash and burn opposed to if you used something like a Rico Select. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
What an odd thing to say. What did they mean by "crash and burn", like your embouchure would fatigue faster on a fibracell as opposed to other reeds or that YOUR embouchure would fail because you use that reed?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Immediatley they said if you use fibracells that your embouchure will crash and burn opposed to if you used something like a Rico Select. Is there any truth to this?
This is simply not true. If anything, the strength ratings Rico uses vs. what Fibracell uses may be different. For example, a MS Fibracell and 2M RJS may not be the same strength. Maybe this is what caused your friends to think it would change your embouchure.

Bottom line, play what works for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys. I thought this sounded fishy, but they also said it was comparable to cheating on a sax? I don't even know what that's suppose to mean.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess they meant your cheating because your using a synthetic fibracell reed instead of the "correct" cane reed. I know many people that use synths and some, legere signatures along with others, are considered to be very nice. I say if the fibracell is what your most comfortable playing on and you can achieve your desired sound/tone then the heck with what they say.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't know that my embouchure ever changes based on the reed. Fishy to me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
another high school myth? I play both reed and synthetic reeds and I have to say it does not affect your embouchure unless the reed is severely weaker or stronger than your usual reed strength. If that were to happen, you should adjust your embouchure accordingly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
Hey guys. I was talking to some of my other sax buddies and we were on the discussion of reeds. I said I played a med soft fibracell. Immediatley they said if you use fibracells that your embouchure will crash and burn opposed to if you used something like a Rico Select. Is there any truth to this?
How old are your buddies, ?..and furthermore have they any expirience, this sounds to me as if ..someone or a few think they have a bit of knowledge,or maybe are a bit jealous of you!!.
Dont take any notice, if the fibracells work for you, that is what matters,i play plasticovers at times,,and i really like them!.there are a lot of good players out using fibracells!.so no probs,up to now my embouchure has not crashed!!..lol,,and neither it will..but for the record neither will yours..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts