Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have some oxide growing on my Reedgeek. Is there a way i can clean it, maybe using some special liquid?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
What's it made of? If it's carbon steel, it will rust.

Honestly, I've never needed anything other than the smallest size Swiss army knife - although of course it can't fly on planes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What's it made of? If it's carbon steel, it will rust.
I checked ReedGeek's website, but they aren't giving up the goose on their recipe:
"All ReedGeeks are made 100% from scratch, with state-of-the-art manufacturing, utilizing the highest quality unique 100% USA hard alloys."

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what material is made from. It just has oxidation here and there, with the risk of uneven the sides, which is what you use to work on reeds.
I will try to take a photo later.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I don't know what material is made from. It just has oxidation here and there, with the risk of uneven the sides, which is what you use to work on reeds.
I will try to take a photo later.

Thanks.
Get a small stainless steel penknife.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here it is...

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
It's probably tool steel - high carbon, easy to rust if you leave it wet/moist. A light coating of oil after drying it will help preserve the finish. You can remove the excess scale with some 0000 steel wool, but be mindful not to cut yourself.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's probably tool steel - high carbon, easy to rust if you leave it wet/moist. A light coating of oil after drying it will help preserve the finish. You can remove the excess scale with some 0000 steel wool, but be mindful not to cut yourself.
Nice, i would look for a steel wool. I have never worried to dry it after use it so...would do next times! Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Nice, i would look for a steel wool. I have never worried to dry it after use it so...would do next times! Thanks!
You're welcome. Most people only know stainless steel these days, but if you have some quality knives made of carbon steel, you'll need to learn to take care of them, else they will rust.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
It's basically a metal lathe tool with a bit ground off here and there to provide scraping edges. It might be better to use a quality oil stone to keep the faces flat.
Or you could buy a lathe tool for a lot less money and grind the appropriate bits.

As Dr G says, it's better to prevent this happening in the first place.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My reedgeek just arrived in the mail.
Any suggestions of tutorials to get up to speed using this thing?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I have the one that is black and it has never rusted or shown any sign of wear. I use it ALL the time. Also, I notice people love to challenge the cost of manufacturing a product yet don’t put any thought into the R&D....
The parts Shakusax shared would be good for flattening the table but not nearly much else the reedgeek does. (And it is more than one tool)
Mauro has videos on YouTube as well as shares specifically how to work on the reeds if you contact him. It is not like a one size fits all type of deal. The type of work you do depends on the reed and experimentation. I get 8 out of 10 reeds in a box perfect with this tool.
As to the rusting or oxidizing, I have no idea about metals or what would cause that. I can only share that mine hasn’t changed in any way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wasn't really challenging the cost, just saying that you can get a tool bit for 5 bucks if all you want to do is flatten the table or balance the reed by scrapping along the sides of the face. Although I like a pocket knife better for reed balancing. I never used the little corner scrappers on my reed geek and my tool bit hasn't rusted yet. Just saying ...

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Clean off the rust with some Scotchbrite and put some oil to prevent future rusting. Since you're going to put the reeds in your mouth, I guess some kind of oil that's safe to consume is required. Can you still buy "mineral oil" at the grocery store or druggist? I think that was always indicated as safe for use on food equipment.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Just go to Harbor Freight and buy the same thing for $5. Actually you also get a mini one with it in the package.
I wish I could find the link again. It’s some little wood lathing bits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts