Sax on the Web Forum banner
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The ATG system is terrific. It's the most effective and easy to use method of improving bad reeds I've ever seen. You can construct the ATG tools yourself, but the system includes the simple tools, a book and a DVD showing how to use it, and you don't use it like any other method of fixing reeds. I'd say, buy the ATG system instead of trying to figure it out for yourself. You'll save tons of money on reeds.
The ReedGeek is supposed to do several things, and it might very well do everything that is claimed. However, Its most important function is something that the ATG system does NOT do, and that is, to make the reed lie flat on the facing and tight against the rails. Just tonight, I got some chirping from reeds on a very good metal soprano mouthpiece that I know has a perfectly flat table, and I had left my ReedGeek at home -DOH! I had worked on at least one of the chirping reeds with the ATG system, and it worked OK with a tight 2 screw ligature. The ligature of the metal mouthpiece held the reed very lightly, and I kept getting chirps. The ReedGeek is very good at solving this problem.
I have a Reed Geek. A razor blade or a flat bladed knife do as good a job of flattening a reed. The ATG System works as advertised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been adjusting my reeds with glass, reed knives & sandpaper for years. I bought the reed geek a couple of years ago and I would highly recommend it to everyone. It's very easy to use. Make sure you reed the instructions. A very handy tool to use. They have new reed geek's out now and I can't wait to try them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My ATG system arrived and it is fantastic. A couple of Fibracells that I had trouble with, were sorted in minutes, one to suit a metalite M7, and the other a Berg 120. As for the business of reducing tip thickness after clipping, it is covered in the DVD.
All in all an excelent product, which I am quite sure is about the easiest tool to use for balancing and adjusting reeds to suit a particular m'piece. It won't flatten the reed table area, but a blade used as a scraper will do as good a job as the "Geek" which after all is only used as a scraper.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The ATG system and the ReedGeek tool are doing everything I could ask for. I can't fix about 1 reed in 10, at the most. I routinely flatten the table with the ReedGeek on all reeds, and am discovering it only takes a few strokes to tell by feel whether or not the table is already level. I'm starting to use the rounded tip of the ReedGeek to trim zones of the part-of-the-reed-which-vibrates-whose-name-escapes-me-now, using Larry Teal's diagram of which parts of the reed connect to problems in which range of the sax. That also works well. Overall, I'm way more happy with reeds these days.

·
Premium Member
18,634 Posts
Never did much work on reeds, but just ordered one after reading all the positive remarks here. And also because I have my issues with reeds at times and hope that the RG can help me preventing them!
Received my ReedGeek some weeks ago, but only used it for the first time this evening in the break of the Big Band rehearsal (this was the first time I played since I received it [rolleyes]). I found it very easy to use and was really surprised about how well my reed played after I used the ReedGeek. No idea how long that will last, but it worked for sure in a positive way :).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think the ReedGeek is absolutely worth it! Immediate improvement on whipping a reed into shape lickety split.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I don`t fiddle around with reeds so I`m not interested in the ReedGeek but I do feel sorry for your poor wife after the trouble she went to. Glad you are not on my shopping gift list!
Yes...she's such a martyr. Although, you'd think after 20 years she'd be able to pick out a shirt that actually fits me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't have the time or patience or skills or desire to spend working on my reeds using traditional tools. I've tried sandpaper, rushes and razors with poor results, typically ruining the reed more often than not. The reed geek is an ideal solution, a couple of quick passes to flatten warping which is the biggest problem and there's a noticeable difference. I think it's an awesome tool, easy, simple and effective, what's not to like?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've had it for a few months now, and my minimal skill at saving reeds has increased. I reckon I now get two thirds to work, where before it was half. The flattening of the table is the obvious thing, but the same blade can do wonders in thinning the front of the reed, which can then be fine-tuned with the other blades. The real advantage here is that the ReedGeek doesn't crush the fibres, so the adjustment is much smoother. It has paid for itself twice over already.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I recently say a Jay Thomas video on Youtube. He was demonstrating a mouthpiece he was selling. In the middle of the video, he stops playing, gets his ReedGeek and spends a few seconds working the reed, and seems pleased with the results. He says that it is not really a ReedGeek, but he calls it that because it is the same thing as a ReedGeek, and that it is something you can pick up at any hardware store. Anybody got any clues about what he's talking about, or has anyone seen something like this in a hardware store? I suppose I should just ask Jay.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
carr said:
I recently say a Jay Thomas video on Youtube. He was demonstrating a mouthpiece he was selling. In the middle of the video, he stops playing, gets his ReedGeek and spends a few seconds working the reed, and seems pleased with the results. He says that it is not really a ReedGeek, but he calls it that because it is the same thing as a ReedGeek, and that it is something you can pick up at any hardware store. Anybody got any clues about what he's talking about, or has anyone seen something like this in a hardware store? I suppose I should just ask Jay.
Do you have a link to the video and the time during the video where he uses his reed tool? It might be helpful to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I tried the reed geek. I kept finding myself grabbing for my reed knife to do the adjustments more quickly and accurately. I ended up selling the reed geek.

That said, I have used a knife for many years and am pretty comfortable with it. For those who are not, the geek may be a valuable tool.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It sure looks like the same thing as the ReedGeek I own. Including having the same case.

Do you have a link to the video and the time during the video where he uses his reed tool? It might be helpful to see what it looks like.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I prefer the finish that the ReedGeek produces. More like that of a cabinet scraper, sort of polished if one uses it at the right angle. Just a personal thing though. I expect it makes little difference

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure what Jay Thomas is using in that video--it does seem to have a case similar to the one the reedgeek is shipped in--at least, the one on the website--but since I'm in Vietnam and wanted to save on the shipping and customs, I figured I'd hunt the hardware markets for something similar. What I ended up with was a 6x6x200 HSS bar. I don't know how it compares to a ReedGeek, but the edges certainly do the scraping in a way that seems like it. It's probably a little thinner (and thus lighter), though it much longer than the ReedGeek, so I can let the weight of the thing do the work, but I have to be careful about balancing it. But I must say it's working for me, for now, and it cost me a tiny amount of money (I think the equivalent of $1.50 US, maybe less).

Obviously, the HSS bar lacks the special edges that the reedgeek has for working the rails and tip, which is why I'd still consider picking one up if I were in a place where it'd be easy to get it shipped to me. (And a little more spare cash.)

101 - 120 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.