Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Seems like a simple solution to a common problem. There are other effective solutions, I'm sure. But this seems nice and portable and easy to use. As for the cost...if it really can help to make a higher percentage of reeds playable, $40 would be made back in very little time.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I wouldn't say it hasn't been well received from reading this discussion. It's just a bunch of grumpy guys assuming there's no better tool than what they've been using for years. If you do a quick search on sotw and google, you'll realize a lot of people actually use the thing and find it much more convenient than using sandpaper and a reed knife (Tim Price, Ellery Eskelin, David Sanborn, just to name a few...)

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I should agree. Do you use one by the way?
No I don't but I've been meaning to get one. I think the design of the tool makes it very versatile. Small enough to carry around. Two blades: one to flatten the table and a curved one to make fine adjustments to the heart and tip. I also asked the maker of the tool about durability and the claim that the blade wouldn't need sharpening. He was very honest and told me any blade will eventually dull out but the design of the reedgeek's blade makes it so this won't happen after several years of constant use. As for the price, when you compare it to the price of a reed knife, I'd say it's well worth the money. But I'm assuming as well as I don't own one. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,398 Posts
FWIW, I've been using one since January. It is my favorite reed tool ever in 40 years of playing. Nothing else even compares that I've tried.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have one too. IT works & is a nice size & shape to carry around in your case. Convenient.
I use it almost every day.
Its worth a try at $40. It might work out for you too.

·
2,388 Posts
I think I get a lot of mileage out of sandpaper and a piece of glass, but this looks like a groovy little tool that I'm definitely gonna check out...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
living in Germany,i haven't gotten around to it....instead i picked up a triangular metal file and its been doing the job for me

·
3,875 Posts
I have one, much easier to use than a reed knife. I suck at using the knife, I always get gouges when working on the sides but my scrapes are nice and even with the Reed Geek. Flattening the table is quick and easy as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The reedgeek is amazing! I have a bunch of friends that use it and love it. I know many pros who are endorsing it. Its really not very expensive considering it makes every reed play better and lasts forever!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am using one. It is very easy to use. Now, my reeds are finally flat at the table area. can get pretty obsessive about flattening the reeds.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts