Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I like to keep my reeds submerged in vodka. Is there a reed case that let’s me do that? If I just put them in a diving capsule the get tossed around, I don’t know which reed is which and the tips get damaged over time. I tried using the reedjuvinate holder without the , but it only holds three reeds and I’d like to carry more. I also tried using the vandoren hydro case with the openings taped shut, but the vodka dissolves the glue, which can’t be healthy. I also tried putting a vodka soake cloth into the Rico humidity controlled case instead of the humidity control thingy, but it does not keep the reeds wet enough. It also needs to be small enough to fit in my bam cabine sax case (all of the above mentioned do).

I am grateful for any suggestions.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
Reedjuvinate is what you are seeking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,576 Posts
I used to keep my reeds wet all the time in a jar. Never had issue with tip damage, but a slightly larger jar would’ve accommodated the plastic holders most reeds come in now.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ride my bike to the university / practice rooms every day. The reeds get tossed around a lot, that’s why after a while the tips get damaged. That’s also the reason I need to fit the reed case in my tiny sax case (and use said tiny sax case).

Reeds kept in water get moldy, reeds kept in vodka don’t.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've never heard is this before, is that actually a thing? Why not just water?
Alcohol in general is a disinfectant, Isopropanol probably works better for it than just plain ethanol because it apparently won't dehydrate as easily. (they both can be used as antibacterial stuff, basically)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Isopropanol is twice as toxic as ethanol (= the alcohol in Vodka etc.). If you want to try it, I´d go for Vodka or any other plain Schnaps.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'd go with swperry's suggestion. Get a jar that fits a multi-reed holder, wrap a rubber band around its lid, put on the cap and voila, a water tight holder. And use any booze to your liking.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can order cases that look a lot like the reedjuvinate on Ebay for next to nothing (I just ordered 2 for under $5). Shipping from China so it may take some time to get them.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
I tried using the reedjuvinate holder without the , but it only holds three reeds and I’d like to carry more.
Just curious, why would you need more than 3 good reeds on any particular gig or practice session? I keep 4 reeds in a standard reed holder (tried the soak/reedjuvinate method and it didn't work for me, but that's a separate issue), all 4 of which are good players and I've rarely needed more than 1 of them on any gig. But the other 3 are there, waiting just in case the 1 wears out. I really only need 1 backup, though.

I guess your solution though is to carry a couple of those reedjuvinate holders, or something similar.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Or you can hack reedjuvinate style: Get a tupperware that seals tight and can fit as many reedholders as you'd like, get a dishwashing sponge, cut in half, soak it in vodka or listerine, stash it in the Tupperware with all your reeds.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Isopropanol is twice as toxic as ethanol (= the alcohol in Vodka etc.). If you want to try it, I´d go for Vodka or any other plain Schnaps.
That's probably a bit of a problem for your reeds, then. =P
I don't know much about the actual interactions each type of alcohol has with human biology, (I study Chem and music, not biology) so that's good to know it's probably not the best thing to use for that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I found a solution.

Some time ago I bought a lot of those small zip-bags. I used to put the old Rico reed holder in there and a sponge to keep the reeds moist. I was almost happy with this, but the reed holder being loaded from two sides meant, that I had to take the whole thing out to get to the reeds on the other side. This would often result in vodka being spilt over my sax (I keep the sponge *very* wet).
Just now I noticed, that the vandoren reed case can be taken apart. I now have the inner piece, that holds the reed, in a small plastic bag together with the sponge. This way it fits six reeds (while I concur, that usually three are enough, I found myself in positions where I need more - especially since I don’t practice at home and can’t leave anything in my practice room) and I can take the reeds out without having to move the holder

View attachment 218060

Side note: During my experience over the last few days I, I realized again how much more reliable extremely wet reeds are. While a lot of people here complain about „waterlogged“ reeds on here, I find that once you find a strength/brand that plays well for you while this wet, a reed always plays the same (The reeds seem less dependent on outside influences) and the reeds live much longer.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Some time ago I experimented with storing reeds in liquid. While keeping them wet didn't work for me – they felt waterlogged – I think I came up with a pretty good system.

Go to your local pharmacy and ask for a couple of leak proof medication containers.

Cut the end off of a few plastic reed holders (the ones that come in some boxes of reeds).

Store away.

View attachment 218064 View attachment 218066 View attachment 218068
View attachment 218070 View attachment 218072 View attachment 218074

·
3,576 Posts
My suggestion is to use a container that fits a few of the plastic holders most reeds already come in. How many million year old T-Rex claws have to be violently extracted from the earth for plastic for your multiple Reed storage solutions? 🤣😒😱😟

·
3,576 Posts
I ride my bike to the university / practice rooms every day. The reeds get tossed around a lot, that’s why after a while the tips get damaged. That’s also the reason I need to fit the reed case in my tiny sax case (and use said tiny sax case).

Reeds kept in water get moldy, reeds kept in vodka don’t.
Must be a bumpy ride. I kept a handful of reeds at a time soaking in 5% alcohol solution with no plastic holders: loose in the jar, and walked miles daily between home, my practice room, and the music school I worked at for a couple years with no problems.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Must be a bumpy ride. I kept a handful of reeds at a time soaking in 5% alcohol solution with no plastic holders: loose in the jar, and walked miles daily between home, my practice room, and the music school I worked at for a couple years with no problems.
It is indeed.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
Side note: During my experience over the last few days I, I realized again how much more reliable extremely wet reeds are. While a lot of people here complain about „waterlogged“ reeds on here, I find that once you find a strength/brand that plays well for you while this wet, a reed always plays the same (The reeds seem less dependent on outside influences) and the reeds live much longer.
Interesting how we all have such different experiences. A couple years ago I gave the reedjuvinate system a real thorough test over a considerable time period, and while I really wanted it to work, it failed me. Keeping the reeds moist rendered them less responsive and yes, they felt and played like they were 'waterlogged', even when I only used a slightly damp sponge in the container. It's worth trying, and it may work for many players, but it didn't work for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good Scotch! Some people use Listerine. Get a small snap top plastic Tupperware type of box and a couple of kitchen sponges cut so they fit neatly inside. Lay your reeds between the sponges and drip the sterilising fluid over them (Scotch, Vodka, Listerine). This should protect them and keep them moist.

Good luck and stay sober!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts