Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
What causes the reed to wobble? I have this unpleasant thing happening when I play bari - it doesn't happen with my tenor. Of course the mouthpiece is different.
It happens most of the time when I play an A (middle range). Any idea?
Thanks,

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,400 Posts
well, is it loose to start with? Do you move in any particular way when playing that note?

Often times ligatures are not much longer when it comes to baritone than they are with other shorter reeds and, of course, if the reed and mouthpiece are longer this may create some tension.

I don’t over tighten my reeds on tenor but it occasionally does shift left to right. Some ligatures like Francois Louis seem to be made to have this built in problem!

Choosing a different ligature may do the trick but then you may have all sorts of other things. Try to put something to create a less slippery surface between reed and pressure plate and see how this goes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
I have experienced a strange effect that could be the subject here - the note seems to change back and forth as though you're doing false fingerings. I've had this a few times mainly on bari on A and B III and the same on tenor but very rarely. It definitely is the mouthpiece and reed combination along with pushing a lot of air. I do not have a recommendation on which way to go with your mouthpiece and reed except you may be pushing too hard of a reed with whatever mouthpiece you're using. In my case, on bari, it ended when I returned to using a vintage Level Air. There has to be another way because most players are not going there and they really shouldn't, but I'm mentioning it as a reference. The Level Air has a huge shank bore that is wide open, an almost vertical step and a long, flat, high baffle to the tip. It looks on the outside just like it is on the inside. This might be saying anyone having this problem might need to try some mouthpieces. I know its impossible to simply notch down in reed strength after playing a harder set-up. Maybe a little more baffle is needed.
I had it continuously with a Martin CIII bari and Berg Larsen HR 130/1. I had the bari stripped and washed out because I suspected a build-up in the loop but it made no difference. After I got a new low A, I thought I was done with it but it still happened once in awhile until I went back to the Brilhart LA.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sigmund451, It's wobbling as - indeed - the motor boating way. Difficult to describe.
I will try what is described by milandro. From what 1saxman says and the rest of you guys, it could well be a lig issue. Will look into that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,400 Posts
So, after you added the “ motor boating” comment I understand that the problem was a warble (as in sound), not a wobble (as in movement), although the two may be related.

There are thousands of reasons why any sax would warble a note, some are equipment induced and some are player’s induced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,266 Posts
I get that when my reed starts failing. Mostly on altissimo notes...In my case it’s just gotten a bit soft. Maybe try a bit harder reed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts