Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks
i've been wondering for a long time wich is better > plastic reed or normal reed
do a difference exist ? do they each make particular tones ? for information i'm searching for reed mark that suits with Funk jazz and blues

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,942 Posts
hi folks
i've been wondering for a long time wich is better > plastic reed or normal reed
It all depends on which works better for you.

But also you can't generalise, especially with synthetics as brands are very different to each other. So are cane reeds but possibly to a lesser extent.

The best thing is to try reeds and see what works for you, as there s no real objective "best"

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just like Pete said, there is no "best," there is just what you prefer. Each reed style has its advantages and its disadvantages.

Personally, I like synthetic reeds. I use Legere Studio Cuts and Rico Plasticovers. Hahn and Fibercell makes good synthetic reeds. I chose synthetics because I grew tired of the inconsistency in cane (esp. Vandoren). Plus I really like the tone of the synthetics.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i get it ^^ so i just need to try things out till i find the one that suits me .for info i use Vendorene cane reed 2.5 <- is it good for a beginner like me to begin with ?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...the main difference,because you are a beginner...is that with a synethetic reed you dont have any hassles....soaking,warping...etc. like you do with cane.... its pretty much always ready to go... i used em for a couple of years,and got good results.... but once i learned the advantages of cane i switched and have never gone back

1 - 5 of 5 Posts