Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have much experience with classical mouthpieces on tenor but I recently played a concert on an Optimum TL4 with L'Ensemble Ulysse.
I really liked the control I had in the low register and how it blended with the others, with my jazz mouthpiece I always had to be careful not to overpower the cello.

I used a traditional Vandoren #3.5 reed (which is the maximum strength suggested by Vandoren) but I felt I could have gone stronger. I know there's a big jump in stiffness between a 3.5 and a 4 with Vandoren reeds so I would like some input from players who use this piece before I buy a box of #4's.
Does anyone play #4's with a TL4 ?
How about the V12's ?

As a reference point; my jazz mouthpiece has a .115 tip and I use traditional Vandorens #3.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd advise a TL3. I drove myself mad trying to get the TL4 to play. I can honestly say its THE MOST frustrating mouthpiece i have ever experienced. I personally play a Selmer Soloist D. Nice big, but classical sound. I'd go with Selmer for band playing, or Tl3 for solo.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have the same problem with my TL3, using the same reeds. I don't see why you shouldn't try a 4. Maybe try a V12 3 or 3.5. I find Rico Reserve 3.5s work nicely too.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up returning the TL4, it was on consignment and the seller was asking too much in my opinion. Since I don't have any gigs soon requiring a classical set up, I'll take my time and try out many mouthpieces.

... I drove myself mad trying to get the TL4 to play. I can honestly say its THE MOST frustrating mouthpiece i have ever experienced.....
What was it specifically that you did not like about it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
the opening was in a really awkward position. it felt not too closed, but very slippery. i seem to not like mouthpieces with long beaks =/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.