Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson is starting band at school he is 10 years old. He is going to use my old alto sax until he sees whether he likes it. I am not sure what strength of reed he should start with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Generally a 2 or 2 1/2 (Soft or Med Soft).

What mouthpiece is he starting on? I started on a humdinger of a piece (it was stuffy, and hard to play--Brilhart Ebolin 3*--, but somehow I managed through it until got my Selmer Soloist-style C* piece years later!).

I started on a 2, and quickly progressed to a 2 1/2. Reed strength has more to do with lay of the mouthpiece, baffle type, and tip opening than player skill.

That said, beginners should always start on mild setups, deigned for ease of getting notes out, and not tone, as tone and technique come later.

·
2,597 Posts
Yeah, probably a 2, maybe a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2. I would be inclined to pick up a few 2s and some 1 1/2s; if he has trouble with the 2s, go to the 1 1/2s.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Not knowing what sax you have or the mouthpiece that will be attached it's a little hard to make an 'educated' recommendation.

I've started a few dozen little sax players. Most were using a Yamaha 4C or similar. They seemed to manage very nicely on a Rico Orange box 2.5
They are, in my opinion, very consistant in quality and 'kid' friendly. Parents love them because they don't break the bank when they have to buy an new box every 2 weeks.
Those beginners seem to 'eat' through a reed every other day.

I did have a student that came to me with an old Buescher alto with the original mouthpiece. It had a closer tip opening than many of todays' 'student' mouthpieces. I started him out on a Orange box 3 and went from there. So you see, reed strength is dictated more by the tip opening than the level of the player.

·
6,831 Posts
Not knowing what sax you have or the mouthpiece that will be attached it's a little hard to make an 'educated' recommendation.

I've started a few dozen little sax players. Most were using a Yamaha 4C or similar. They seemed to manage very nicely on a Rico Orange box 2.5
They are, in my opinion, very consistant in quality and 'kid' friendly. Parents love them because they don't break the bank when they have to buy an new box every 2 weeks.
Those beginners seem to 'eat' through a reed every other day.

I did have a student that came to me with an old Buescher alto with the original mouthpiece. It had a closer tip opening than many of todays' 'student' mouthpieces. I started him out on a Orange box 3 and went from there. So you see, reed strength is dictated more by the tip opening than the level of the player.

Which is more or less what I was trying to say too :) .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ricos are great reeds for beginners, as is mentioned before.
If your old sax is vintage, then i suggest you take it back.
Instruments + kid = disaster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts