Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,529 Posts
I agree, for me a minimal break in and balance/adjustment yields the best results. When I’ve spent a lot more time really adjusting and trying to dial in reeds, it hasn’t been beneficial. But the difference between doing nothing and a small amount of break in/adjustment is large for me.
This is exactly the way I feel about reeds, mouthpieces, and saxophones. If it is a large order change, it probably won't work out well.

· Registered
3,303 Posts
Agreed, a small adjustment may sometimes make a big difference. Usually it is left to right adjustment, though sometimes it may be flattening the "table." And not exactly an adjustment but look carefully at placement of the reed tip. Usually once per week I am ready to toss out a reed only to discover the tip is placed crookedly or not out far enough on the tip rail. Placement on the tip rail can be considered an adjustment....more it further out to make the reed play harder or vice-versa.

There is a mental thing too. If one thinks the reed is too soft, one can "confirm" that by too much embouchure pressure. OTOH if you meet it halfway and relax the chops, it may blow ok except at FFFF volume when it still will close off.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts