Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
We just added a soprano sax to our current sax collection here at home Qty 5 saxes, and we went up to the local music shop to get a selection of reeds for it and they didnt sell any, we rang 7 other local music shops and no one sells them or is even willing to get them in, apparently there is just no demand here for them. We ended up putting a reed in from the wifes clarinet to get us going, whats the deal. Are these units just not likes by people. Were does everyone get there reeds from and what brands do people recommend. Example for the alto sax you cant go past a vanderlin reed. Whats everyones recommendations
Thanks
Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
hi, you can buy reeds mail order on many internet sites, some shops send them by mail but you also have specialized mail order companies such as this one http://www.usareeds.com/index.html I am not connected to them but they sound pretty cheap.:)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
simso said:
Hey folks,
We just added a soprano sax to our current sax collection here at home Qty 5 saxes, and we went up to the local music shop to get a selection of reeds for it and they didnt sell any, we rang 7 other local music shops and no one sells them or is even willing to get them in, apparently there is just no demand here for them. We ended up putting a reed in from the wifes clarinet to get us going, whats the deal. Are these units just not likes by people. Were does everyone get there reeds from and what brands do people recommend. Example for the alto sax you cant go past a vanderlin reed. Whats everyones recommendations
Thanks
Steve
I have similar trouble where I live, so I go mail order or pick some up when visiting a city I know has a better selection. A clarinet reed will work but maybe better would be an alto reed, though you might have to give it a little more 'oomph'. By the way, it's 'Vandoren', not 'Vanderlin'... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Discount reed company, SaxQuest are the two I recommend.

Never buy reeds locally. The prices are usually at least 50% more than you would pay on the net, that is unless our lucky enough to live near a nice shop.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I have no problem geting soprano reeds locally. I like Vandoren V16's. Incidentally, my sax teacher uses clarinet reeds on soprano.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Last week I was at a music store in Tennessee and I was looking at the reeds and they had a couple boxes of vandorens for alto for $2.79, it had to be a miss price. Should've bought a couple boxes.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Im not sure the box was still in the wrapping and the price tag thing was on every box, yeah your probably right, I shouldve asked

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
must be, otherwise buy them all......I am in for two boxes, thank you very much :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
heath said:
Discount reed company, SaxQuest are the two I recommend.

Never buy reeds locally. The prices are usually at least 50% more than you would pay on the net, that is unless our lucky enough to live near a nice shop.
what and stop giving my money to struggling local shops?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Naw man if your local shops are cool then by all means get them there. I'm all for supporting the local scene. It's just that the local scene in so many cities is completey gone when it comes to decent shops. The corporate scumbags that care little for music have taken over. You can still find cool shop owners in some parts of the country, but not everyone has access to those and many don't stock some of the odds and ends many of us want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts