Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads-up, Musician's Friend new policy (for around a month, apparently) is not to accept any return of reeds--even if box is still factory-sealed in cellophane.

I know I have returned unopened boxes in the past, perhaps with a supervisor over-ride. But no longer.

So, I have a brand new box of Rigotti Gold Jazz Alto 2.5M (PM me...) I won't open nor use because I'm keeping and playing the 2.5S I also bought in the same order.

Perhaps there is some secret to trying new brands and strengths without buying a complete box of 10 (or 5 for tenor). Seems like a reed exchange would be an excellent service for and by members on a forum such as this. Either straight trades of single new reeds, or sale-and-mail of singles at a reasonable price. I'd PayPal $5 to try a new brand and strength of alto reed. I haven't had any luck selling a box of 9 Java Green 2.0 on Reverb or Offer-Up, so I guess eBay auction is my final solution but annoying when I know there are players who want reeds. I'm about 80 posts shy of being able to sell on this forum.

As for the Rigottis, they are bright, sure, but not obnoxious with Ref 54 and Phil-Tone Le Son 6. But I think I'll go back to filed Java Reds when the 2.5S are gone for a little sweeter singing core sound that I can still push into more buzz.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
A great solution mentioned in another thread....sell sample packs....I have too many boxes of reeds I’ve tried and either had the wrong size or didn’t like the reed....if they sold a sample pack with 2-3 different strenghs and/or type of reed it would solve the issue....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But why "they?" Why not US? Particularly the individual foil-packed such as Vandoren... wouldn't you pay $10 for three to be mailed to you? And if you in turn received $10 for three you mail out, you are breaking even after your initial purchase (of the wrong brand/strength).

This seems like something that a reed-playing on-line group could set up.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sounds like a reed swap section here might be cool. No idea how that works logistically, but I bet members would be down so as not to let them go to waste.

I generally donate my unused reeds to kids in New Orleans through a friend of mine (thus the Noise4NOLA) so at least they aren’t sitting doing nothing.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Brian at getasax.com will sell you a mixed box of the rigotti reeds with different prices for a slightly higher price,
very reliable seller with integrity.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
But why "they?" Why not US? Particularly the individual foil-packed such as Vandoren... wouldn't you pay $10 for three to be mailed to you? And if you in turn received $10 for three you mail out, you are breaking even after your initial purchase (of the wrong brand/strength).

This seems like something that a reed-playing on-line group could set up.
Why "they"? Because "they" are in the business of selling reeds...nothing wrong with your idea, I'm just suggesting that would be a good way for them to increase sales....kinda like the free sample marketing concept that isn't free...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I buy my reeds at a local music store where I live and can buy 1 reed if i want . this works well for me as i can try what I need to without buying a whole box. if you are ordering online it will be hard to buy reed assortments or 1 or 2 reeds as I would assume that most online places sell by the box only? I do not like having to order reeds but that is just me.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Sure, but how do you know that the one reed you get isn’t the dud of the box?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,445 Posts
It’s been clearly stated return policy for all the big guys that reeds are no-return items, no exceptions for a while. I was actually shocked as **** when I made a comment on the phone about getting a damaged box of reeds they wouldn’t let me return last time I placed an order, and the woman added a fresh box to my cart free of charge. It had been at least six months and I wasn’t even looking for a refund, I kind of said it jokingly. But yeah, reeds have pretty much always been no-returns everywhere I’ve ever bought.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,445 Posts
Also, Sample packs are nice to get a ballpark idea, but I’m sure I’m not the only person who’s played the first 2-3 and thought great or **** only to completely change my mind by the end of the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts