Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a sax player and I have been really getting into my clarinet playing recently. Here is my set up:
Selmer Centered Tone, Vandoren 5JB, el cheapo metal ligature, blue box 2 reeds

I am looking to experiment with reeds and maybe mpiece. Any suggestions?

BTW, I mostly play (98%) jazz on clarinet.

Thanks!
Zack

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,206 Posts
Ok... Is there something that you don't like about your current set up?

We can suggest gear until the cows come home, but it would be nice to have a ballpark idea of what you are looking for.
Do you want darker, more focused, ???
How about a price range. I'm not going to suggest a $200 mouthpiece when all you have in the budget is $80!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I agree with bandmommy. But just for the discussion, I was introduced to the 5JB years ago by a trad-jazz player in Phoenix. He had a nice sound using that piece and I bought one to try.

My results weren't the same (duh?) but the 5JB did give a VERY warm, spread, and full sound when I played it using adjusted #2 Vandoren reeds. Since then, I put it away and for the past few years have been using a Claude Lakey 5* mouthpiece (actually three of them, all made for me by Claude, one stamped "5*D"). They are a bit more sharp in pitch (which I need for my non-trained clarinet embouchure - Claude told me he made all of his clarinet pieces at A-443) but very strong and they give me good intonation when I use a Fibracell Premiere 1 1/2 reed.

I also enjoyed a Vandoren 66 mouthpiece, which was similar to the 5JB in feel and response but gave me much more focus than the 5JB. I don't know if a 66 is still available or not. A fellow SOTW member I met with several times to help with sopranos liked mine and sought out two on eBay, ending up with a 55 and a 66. I don't know what those numbers really mean, but he found two of them. DAVE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly looking for reed suggestions.....I've only ever used vandoren blue box reeds....just feeling like messing around a bit. On sax I play rico jazz selects and have only great things to say about them; I haven't found any "jazz" reeds for clarinet so just wondering what other people are using. I'm not opposed to checking out new mouthpieces as all I have is the 5JB (which I like) and a B45Lyre (which I don't like). Sound wise I'm generally pretty content with where I'm at, I think I'm looking to get a more woody and full tone though. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,206 Posts
Ok! I can give you a few different reeds to try.
I play a Selmer Signature, Portnoy 3, and a Bonade inverted lig. I use Mitchel Lurie reeds in a 3/3.5 for nearly EVERYTHING.

I have tried LaVoz, Rico Royal, Rico Reserve/Grand Concert Selects, Vandoren classic/V12s', Rico Orange box.... Just about every brand/cut carried by my local music shop.
I always go back to the Lurie reeds. Better consistancy, flexability, and sound for me.
In the past few years Vandoren reeds have left me 'wanting'.

Give any of these a shot in the same strength as your current Classics. The Rico Reserves, Grand Concert, and V12s' you'll want to go down about a half step. They have a thicker heart and can feel 'stiff and stuffy'.
Just make sure that you get a box of them and not just 1 or 2 single reeds.

If you don't have a reed clipper or know how to adjust your reeds now would be the time to learn how to do it! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you're after woodier and warmer, I really recommend Vandoren 56 Le Pic reeds. Although I mainly play jazz too, I do play some straight music, and I like the Vandoren B40 for both genres. I used to play a 5JB but it was really excessive, even for jazz. The B40 is a richer sounding B45 - much more interesting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
436 Posts
I play a 5JB on an R13 with Mitchell Lurie plain 3's. (M/L's tend to run softer than Vanny's.) Nice thing is almost every reed plays good.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I play a Centered Tone and prefer an old Brilhart Tonalin 2*, with Lav Voz Med Soft reeds. It's easy and rich playing jazz. This instrument came with a Selmer HS* mouthpiece and a Purdue Band sticker on the case. I kept them both, but like the Brilhart best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts