Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I recently updted my set up.
I played on an Otto Link STM NY 7 having good results with either a Rico Select Jazz 2M (Filed) or La Voz Medium Soft reeds.Lastly i was gettin' a better sound on La Voz.
I got rid of the Link STM NY and bought a Sakshama Florida 7* (.105).
Due to the inconsistency of the Rico Selects i settled on La Voz Medium Soft having really nice results.
The last times i played i had some problems.The sound was really dark and dull and the reed tended to close up very easily.
Where do you think i have to jump now?.
Any brand or strenght?.
Please, i need some advice for this.
Ah, i really don't like Vandorens Blue Box.
Thanks!.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,914 Posts
From what you just said, I can't see that this isn't either oner dodgy reed, or a reed that has swollen a bit and in need of a gentle scraping.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I play Links on Tenor, an EB STM and sometimes an old HR piece. I just use Alexander reeds all the time now, they work, I find them pretty consistent, and I like the tone. I've tried a whole load of other brands, Marca, RJS, Java, Hemke, La Voz, Rico Royal, but I always go back to the Alexanders.
On the STM, I also play a 7*, I either use a superial 2 1/2, or a NY 2 (the NY are a bit thicker and harder). The NY's are great for a good thick tone, and the Superials are great for more a lively edgy tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
My experience shows me that anything softer than a #3 reed on a Link 7* interferes with getting the most, tonally, out of the piece. Of course this depends on what style of music you're playing and personal tonal concept. I like a lot of different reeds but agree that the Alexander Superials, Francois Louis and Rigotti Gold work well.

·
28,914 Posts
My experience shows me that anything softer than a #3 reed on a Link 7* interferes with getting the most, tonally, out of the piece.
I've never had that problem. I don't like many of the Links I've tried, but when I do, they work best for me with a 2.5.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've never had that problem. I don't like many of the Links I've tried, but when I do, they work best for me with a 2.5.
I would agree about the 2 1/2 and I even used a 2 of some brands on a Link. Part of the problem can be closing off the reed by biting.

If the embouchure is kept open there shouldn't be a problem. Reeds last a lot longer too.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
If you liked the La Voz brand reeds before and your issue is not linked to only one La Voz Medium Soft reed I would try La Voz Medium reeds instead.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I would agree about the 2 1/2 and I even used a 2 of some brands on a Link. Part of the problem can be closing off the reed by biting.

If the embouchure is kept open there shouldn't be a problem. Reeds last a lot longer too.
Sorry but 5+ decades of playing Links and listening to other players of all sorts shows me that reeds as soft as a 2.5 and especially a 2!!! just don't work on a 7* to let the mpc produce the tonal palette it's designed to produce. Pete T. I believe we're talking cane here-I'm fairly certain you use synthetics...different.

·
28,914 Posts
Pete T. I believe we're talking cane here-I'm fairly certain you use synthetics...different.
No, I've never used synthetics on a Link. I used to use Rico, Rico Royal and Lavoz years ago when I played a Link. Ones I've tried more recently I'v used Vandoren or Rico jazz Select. I tried harder reeds but they didn't work so well for me.

I think you need to realise there is no one formula that works for everybody, we are all different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
STM 7* & 2.5's work for me. Synthetics I use a 2.25 but the only difference I see between them and cane is longevity and consistency.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts