Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new guy on tenor here

what's the best way to stop my reeds from warping? i bought 3 #3 rico royales three weeks ago and they're all warped now.

i didn't realise there's so much to this subject.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZephyrSax said:
How are you storing your reeds when not in use?
i put them back in the plastic cover thing they came with after giving 'em a wipe with a clean cloth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Marton: Reeds warp . . . even when held in holders that are flat and tight. Wet them and they should straighten out. My only suggestion is to switch to synthetic reeds if warping bothers you. DAVE

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Dave nailed it. What they look like when they're dry doesn't matter (well, to a certain extent). The shape they're in when they have absorbed some moisture does.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There is a product I like manufactured by Rico called the "Reedvitalizer." Essentially it's a ziploc sort of pouch with a humidity controlling packet inside. Store reeds in that before or after they've been played and it keeps them just moist enough to extend life but not mold. After something like six months you may need replacement packets, but it varies.

The alternative is to just store them in a plastic bag. It'll save you the cash and work just as well - the reeds just have a greater chance of molding after awhile. No big deal, just dip 'em in some peroxide. Give it a shot!

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the responses guys. set my mind at ease.

working out tunes? great.

this forum? priceless

1 - 8 of 8 Posts