Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just watched a YOU TUBE video about manufacture of Rigotto reeds.
https://youtu.be/xxwYCzPT4Ck

I was very impressed with the effort put in to ensure the highest consistant quality. When I checked the prices of their Alto Sax Gold Jazz reeds against D'Addario Rico Royal I saw I could buy ten Rigotto for less than six Rico reeds. Anyone know why D'Addario Rico reeds cost so much more?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Apparently more players like the Royals so they are able to charge more and get it. Supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
D'Addaro reeds are, according to their website, "the most precisely manufactured reeds in the world". So will be more expensive.

It all depends on the advert you see.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
I have just watched a YOU TUBE video about manufacture of Rigotto reeds.
https://youtu.be/xxwYCzPT4Ck

I was very impressed with the effort put in to ensure the highest consistant quality. When I checked the prices of their Alto Sax Gold Jazz reeds against D'Addario Rico Royal I saw I could buy ten Rigotto for less than six Rico reeds. Anyone know why D'Addario Rico reeds cost so much more?
Maybe its the joy of living on this side of the atlantic, but in the States Rico Royals are cheaper than Rigottis? Jazz Selects are a little more.

At "WWBW" at least, Rigottis are 10% more expensive than Rico Royals at present, but about 10% cheaper than Select Jazz and Vandoren Javas.. How the cost factor of the number of PLAYABLE reeds in a box factors in is anyones guess. I play Jazz Selects and have very few bum reeds that either dont play well straight out of the sleeve, or cant be fixed relatively easily into a decent player using my trusty ATG reed sanding system.

But as ever with all things reed related "YMMV"!

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,609 Posts
The Rico Royals are among the most expensive cane reeds out there, and no better than other brands unless you happen to prefer them (I prefer Rigotti reeds). Rigottis are reasonably priced, but only slightly less expensive than Vandorens. Maybe because they sell them 10 to a box; a slight discount for buying in bulk?

By the way (pedant alert!) it's Rigotti, not Rigotto.

·
3,333 Posts
The Rico Royals are among the most expensive cane reeds out there,
Not really. Current WWBW prices are

Rico orange box $23,
Rico/D'Addario Royal $24....
Rigotti Gold $26
Java $28
Select Jazz $29

Maybe exchange rate fluctuations etc come into play with this price comparison business... Vandoren Javas Tenor reeds are currently 75% of the cost of Javas, and that certainly wasnt the case when I first found Select Jazz worked for me.

EDIT: I just checked prices as sax.uk.co and they are pretty much the same as wwbw except for the "Ripoff Britain" exchange rate that sees the $ simply replaced by a £, even though the ACTUAL exchange rate is 1:1.3 at present which would put the cheap Orange box Ricos at about 18 quid.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Weiner Music is usually less than WWBW. Java Red are ~$20 per 5 (I think they are on sale right now, it's less if you buy 3 boxes at once), Select Jazz about $26 per 5. Rigotti is sold in boxes of ten, and they are $35, Rico Royal is $36 (for 10). So prices PER REED range from about $3.50 to $5. These are tenor reeds....

·
3,333 Posts
Weiner Music is usually less than WWBW. Java Red are ~$20 per 5 (I think they are on sale right now, it's less if you buy 3 boxes at once), Select Jazz about $26 per 5. Rigotti is sold in boxes of ten, and they are $35, Rico Royal is $36 (for 10). So prices PER REED range from about $3.50 to $5. These are tenor reeds....
Rigotti Alto ten pack at Weiner is $24.50. You would have to order a couple of boxes to get free US shipping over $48. WWBW is free for orders > $15

·
23,609 Posts
Not really. Current WWBW prices are

Rico orange box $23,
Rico/D'Addario Royal $24....
Rigotti Gold $26
Java $28
Select Jazz $29
Ok, I stand corrected. But isn't that the price ($24) for a box of 5 Rico Royals? I think the price for 10 Rigottis (tenor reeds) is around $35.

In any case, I don't worry about it because I just buy the Rigotti reeds (several boxes at a time). Right now I have half a dozen boxes sitting on the shelf, so don't have to buy any for a long time to come. Also WWBW often has sales; I can always get them for around 15% off, sometimes more, and free shipping when buying enough boxes.

·
3,333 Posts
Ok, I stand corrected. But isn't that the price ($24) for a box of 5 Rico Royals? I think the price for 10 Rigottis (tenor reeds) is around $35.

In any case, I don't worry about it because I just buy the Rigotti reeds (several boxes at a time). Right now I have half a dozen boxes sitting on the shelf, so don't have to buy any for a long time to come. Also WWBW often has sales; I can always get them for around 15% off, sometimes more, and free shipping when buying enough boxes.
FWIW Alto Royals come in boxes of ten

·
23,609 Posts
FWIW Alto Royals come in boxes of ten
Yeah, you're right of course. I was thinking in terms of tenor (as I usually do) and I missed the important fact the OP was talking about alto reeds!

·
3,333 Posts
I was thinking in terms of tenor (as I usually do)
Thats perfectly natural, we all know (even if its hidden deep inside some of us) that Tenor is the one TRUE path.:twisted::cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts