Votes: 3 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 92.7%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there even one person that makes there own sax reeds on this forum? just one? I'm just curious because some clarinet players make their own reeds so why not sax players? I'm sick of 2 good in a box and I know there are others out there who are two.

fyi, 2 excellent papers by clarinet people from the premier bands.

reed making by the tool method (by Joseph LeBlanc, Clarinetist in the Marine band)
http://knol.google.com/k/joseph-leblanc/clarinet-reed-making/2umclypivy7kp/2

reed making by the hand method ( by Douglas Monroe, clarinetist and conductor of the United States Air Force Heritage of America Band)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7626083/Making-Clarinet-Reeds

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been turned on to the idea of making my own saxophone reeds by my instructor, but the preliminary expense of the required tools (namely the profiler) has been a delay. If you start making your own reeds, I'd be interested to hear how they turn out. Good luck.

James

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
The music school I went to (way back when) required saxophone artists/students to make their reeds (if I remember right all "reed" students). I can tell you this after you've made a dozen or so "good" ones it's very easy to see, play and correct any reeds you purchase from any of the manufactures.
I still will occasionally make a reed.
JR

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,274 Posts
I have the dilutus reed making machine - and I have made reeds and gigged with them (Both clarinet and alto) - its an interesting and fun process - however getting started is time consuming.

I have been thinking of selling my equipment - its next to new - Just haven't had the time to keep it up.

Charlie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey James you might be interested in the second article. It's reed making by hand.

And Randy, what school did you go to? That's an interesting requirement.

I personally have been looking into making my reeds by hand. I refuse to pay 2.5 k for the stupid equipment, so I've made my own planer to flat the back of the cane out of my old bed frame. Using a chisel, a 10 dollar block plane, and some sandpaper, i can flat the cane. The next thing i need to figure out is the shaping the taper. I cut the cane to length with a hack saw, which gets annoying, but whatever, the butt of the reed hardly needs to be perfect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Unless you have a cane source that is absolutely the fshizzle, your better off buying commercially available reeds and making minor adjustments. That might include trying reeds with a thicker heart than you think you can play so you can adjust that area until you get what your looking for ... or a thicker tip and very lightly sand right behind the tip area and leave the heart alone etc etc There are so many cuts available these days ...
Back in the day there were not so many cuts available (are there 6 vandoren cuts for jazzers alone?), also remember that clarinetists are asking their reeds to do different things than jazz saxophonists, their tone production is fundementally tighter and less centered than what we do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the dilutus reed making machine - and I have made reeds and gigged with them (Both clarinet and alto) - its an interesting and fun process - however getting started is time consuming.

I have been thinking of selling my equipment - its next to new - Just haven't had the time to keep it up.

Charlie
Hi Charlie,
I'm interested in the idea of reed making, if you say you are thinking about selling your equipment than I would be highly interested to find out how much you are asking for it.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,274 Posts
I sold that equipment just after that post in 2009 (like 7 years ago).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts