Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

On my soprano I play a 7*Otto Link Ebonite with a RICO No 2 reed. With a new reed it sounds just as I want it to sound.
After a while although, when the reed is broken in properly it's just a bit to soft and the tone is not full and dry anymore. A 2.5 reed is still to hard even after it's been played for some time.
So, what I'm looking for a reed which is halfway between (Rico's) 2 and 2.5.

If you have a similar experience or if you know of reeds worth trying please let me know what you think.
Thanks very much and Happy New Year!

Tom

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,284 Posts
If you like the RICO reeds stay with them.
For the soft reeds, put them on with the tip of the reed sticking up over the tip of the mouthpiece by just a hair. That will 'firm' it up a little. Or if you have a clarinet size reed clipper, take off just a wee bit.
Hard reeds can be taken down a little by sanding the flat side only on a piece ofvery fine grit (1000 wet/dry) sandpaper layed on a firm, flat surface. Give it about 10 strokes and test. If it's still too hard give it a few more 'til it's about were you want it.

If you want to try new reeds, that's up to you. I don't know what is available in your area, so I am hesitant to make any recommendations.
Good luck, and Welcome to SOTW.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
I would give Vandoren Javas (green box) # 2 a try. Some in the box may feel a little too soft, but others will be closer to a #2.5. You never get 10 perfect reeds out of a box. If you get 5-6, then that's very good. Carefully work on the others as has been already suggested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the tips. I would prefer to test various reeds to find a suitable type rather than soften or cutting reeds which I guess results in every reed having to be 'made'. I will try the Vandoren and Rico Jazz.
Many thanks and best regards from London

1 - 6 of 6 Posts