Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,,
I just cleaned up my "music supply" cabinet where I keep all my stuff like Ligs, Mp's, books Etc and anything else pertaining to making music.
After looking at my reed supply I realize I have more than enough different reeds to last for quite along time.It seems like every time I order reeds I always get 2 boxes rather than 1 and over time I have accumulated quite a stash.
The problem is this..I still have probably 95% of all the used reeds I have bought over the last 6-7 yrs.For some reason I just never throw them away.
My question is am I the only one with this affliction?...do I need treatment?.
I would hope i am not the only one who does this...
come on guys chime in on this and be honest.

:faceinpalm:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
712 Posts
nah, I've been reorganizing and I keep coming across boxes full of used reeds that I decided to keep for practicing or whatever.. I have tons of them.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
My reed drawer is about 4 times the size of my mp drawer. And my mp drawer is considerably bigger than it needs to be..

I have never sold on reeds I don't need (can't imagine buying a box of 2nd hand reeds therefore can't imagine selling them). Also they might come in handy one day if cane production suddenly collapses. The way reed prices are going my 6 boxes of Vandoren 2.5s might turn out to have investment potential.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
When I was experimenting with different brands, I kept some around that I didn't like straight off just in case they'd play better with a seasonal change. But if a reed chips or splits, I toss it. If a reed just wears out, it goes in the four reed clip as the two reed and the one in the four slot gets tossed. It's actually rare that I'll ever go back to one of the reeds in the 2-4 slot unless I'm at a gig and am somehow caught without a new reed handy. You see, I like reeds that I can take out of the package new, while at a gig, suck on 'em for a minute and then use them. So with that being the case, I don't have to rotate a bunch of playable reeds or keep them after they wear out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

I too have have loads of both old and unused reeds. Every once in a while I will clean out my music drawer. I sort the reeds and bundle them with rubber bands. Then when I experiment, they end up spread out all over my desk again. It's a never-ending cycle.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Since I am new to the saxophone, I haven't settled on a reed yet. I must have enough to last a few years. I too can't throw them away but I have a lot of junk I can't throw away.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Since I am new to the saxophone, I haven't settled on a reed yet. I must have enough to last a few years. I too can't throw them away but I have a lot of junk I can't throw away.
Just keep them. For me, every time I buy a new mouthpiece or lig, I end up going through them all again for the best setup. So having a drawer full of different reeds saves me a lot of time and money. This is true even though I almost always end up using the same type reeds I was already using. :bluewink:

·
2,118 Posts
Yeah, I have a shoebox full of 'em - have always kept the 'rejects' for future trials, and sometimes they turn out to be good on a new mouthpiece. Found some of the Guardala MB 3 1/2 tenors - damn, those were good reeds...

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,738 Posts
Well, I'm pleased to find out that's one affliction I DON'T have. I might keep reeds I've tried and don't like, on the theory that I or my equipment might change and the reed might work better later. But warn out reeds? I might be a little slow to toss them, but I do toss them within a reasonable time.

I mean, once they are dead, they aren't coming back to life. So what are your plans for them?

·
5,444 Posts
I'm with Rackety on this one. I got an FDA-approved vaccine inoculating me from just such an affliction a while back. When a reed dies, it's relegated to one of two places: 1) the circular file or 2) gets used on my other mouthpieces to protect the table from being scratched by a metal lig when they are not being used. Especially my Otto Link NY & STMs! Oh, also good to protect the mouthpiece tip from damage when stored inside the metal mouthpiece cover as well. Better an old reed get chipped than the tip of the mouthpiece!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Yup, I hyave tons on hand. Never know when the cane supply is going to dissappear or I will be too broke to buy some new boxes. I even buy old boxes that are juct lying around. I've got old Selmer's and Kress Kut, something with a Lighthouse on it...

Who knows.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Oh yeah, Apollo, Olivieri, Alexander, Glotin, Omega, all kinds of Rico and Vandoren, Gonzalez, Buffet; it's really too bad I'm allergic to cane.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Speaking of reeds, why do they cost so much? I have nowhere near as many as some you folks have. I'm so cheap that when a reed becomes mushy, I clip a little off the tip and put it on a more closed mpc. Use it for practice. But pricing? The only store near me that sell reeds has on Rico's, the cheap ones in the orange box. I needed some reeds in a hurry. A plastic card of 3 Rico's was $15.00! Now, that's at that store. But geez, $5.50 (with tax) for a reed is nuts. Suffice to say I got some from Musician's Friend - no tax and free shipping, for less than half that price. But still, I remember the "old days" when you could go to a music shop and "cherry pick" reeds from a box rather than buy a box of 10, where if you're lucky there are 4 good ones. I guess I wouldn't mind paying the price if I could at least do the manual inspection first.

So saving old reeds makes sense to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I've got one box with about 15-20 reeds in it. Most over a decade old. I don't know why I keep it around. I switched fully to synthetics...

·
3,536 Posts
I have hundreds of boxes of old reeds. Bought them for pennies on the dollar because they are all very hard strength reeds. I don't care, just sand 'em down a bit with 220 wetordry sand paper. I have old Ricos, LaVoz, RRoyals, Marcas from the 1990s, and tons of other stuff. Its all about good cane, and I have an endless supply of the worlds best cane, the real deal. Most of the reeds sold today are awful cane, pretty much unusable.

·
3,536 Posts
The 1970s and 1980s Ricos, RRoyals and Lavoz reeds much better than today's cane. I'm not sure if its because it had a chance to season or the cane was better back in the day, but there is a huge difference, trust me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
"Today's reeds are lousy. The cane isn't as good as it was." And so on. I don't disagree. But here's a whole other subject. I started buying Fibracells. Nine bucks and change, they outlast cane reeds several times over, they're "always ready," and they play pretty good - at least they're mostly constant reed to reed. So why fool around with cane if it's so crummy? I'm seeing a lot of friends switching to synthetics so there must be something to it. Just don't buy them direct from Fibracell - high retail. Places like Musician's Friend and others sell them for under $10.00, tax and shipping free. Makes sense to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried afew different synth reeds and just didnt dig any of them.I then tried some plasticovers and they were great and used them in my R&R band on my RPC .125B for a year or so.When I tried a regular cane reed again I was much more comfortable.
Im not playing R&R much at all now and on my current gig im using a floridated STM and alexander yellow tin 2 1/2...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts