Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play a JK Sop with a Soprano Planet modded SR TEch .062 Tip and work to get a darker warmer sound but with presence.

Currently bouncing between Alexander Superial 3's and Java Red 3's. Over half of the reeds were green and so have been put away to season for a while. Superials are a bit darker/warmer than the red 3's but of the 25 I have found only 2 that I thought played well out of the box. By the time I have worked the reeds to the point that I like response they are a bit on the soft side.

Looking to find a reed that is on the warm side and pretty consistent. Any suggestions

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,699 Posts
What would Joe play?

Have you asked him?

I'm curious to learn what reeds he prefers on his mouthpieces - aren't you?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,585 Posts
Hemke

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Hemke is a good idea for darker.
So is Alexander NY.

I tend to like a brighter sound and I play Marca and Alexander reeds most of the time on soprano, with an occasional Brancher Opera or Gonzalez.
I also like Hahn synthetic reeds on soprano sometimes, when I am playing more closed pieces.

But mostly Marca and Alexander.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,699 Posts
Thanks, Joe!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Or split the difference with Alexander DCs.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Maybe Vandoren V16 for a slightly darker tone, too.

FWIW, there are a few major players who are playing my pieces who flat out said to me: "I use X reeds in X strength. The piece has to play with that. It's taken me years to find a reed that has the tone I want and I'm not changing for anything."

That's a complete dramatization, of course, but you get my point ( sorry, I had to quote the gecko from Geico on this).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I use Fibracell 3 1/2 and 4 on my Drake Production Ceramic (.055) and my Rovner Deep V #6 (.055ish). I get all the tone and control I need :) .

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joe et al.

I will continue to work on my Superial collection and try the V16 and Hemke's Still trying to work my way out of reed hell LOL. Had to go back to my most familiar mpce to get sorted. Oh the joys the joys

·
Registered
143 Posts
V16s are definitely a good recommendation, but you might want to try V12s too - darker still, but not as responsive as V16s.

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got a box of V16s and find them an improvement. Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice. I have Hemke's on order and will try a V12 and if I see them the Alex NY.

At last.... light at the end of the tunnel that is not just another train

1 - 11 of 11 Posts