Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. Excuse me if I'm bad at finding the correct thread to post in, the search feature seems to bring up a lot of extraneous / irrelevant threads for me. I also tried perusing the reeds forum for a baritone starter/beginner reed thread.

So here goes:

What strength/hardness reed is a good idea to start on for a new baritone sax learner?
The sax is a Noblet Low A Baritone.

I play 2.5's and 2's on Tenor and Alto with a Francois Louis or a Rovner Ligature on yamaha 4c and 5c mouthpieces and they seem to work good for me at this stage.

I'll be using either a brilhart ebolite mouth piece or a yamaha 5c.

I tend to prefer Vandoren Red Java reeds the best, and also find Rico Royals to be pretty consistent for me.

Should I grab a 3 hardness, or stick to a 2.5?
Is this something where there is a general starting hardness or is it really a try-hardnesses-until-one-sticks kind of deal?

I play only by myself right now, I am developing toward playing funk sax and rock sax, but not straying away from jazz, just not skilled or experienced in that direction yet. I am not a classical player. I spend much of my playing time doing long tones, scale & range exercies and trance improvising and all that seems to invigorate and innervate me. I play primarily for the joy.

I am curious for feedback on this especially since most baritone reeds are more costly than alto/tenor reeds.
Thanks you.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,581 Posts
I would suggest actually going down in strength than what you use on tenor for the first few weeks until you get used to the 'new' embouchure. A 2.5 in your favorite brand/cut should be a good place to start.
FWIW... I use a Yamaha 5C on bari and my 'reed of choice' is the lowly Rico orange box in a 2.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a Yamaha 5C on bari and my 'reed of choice' is the lowly Rico orange box in a 2.
What sort of baritone do you use?

I was finding the orange boxes I had to have a low success rate, but the royals it's usually one or less bad reeds per box.

When I was at a local music store, I asked about hardnesses less than 2, and the clerk said they disintegrate on the tenor, so it seemed to reinforce my preference for 2's and 2.5's

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,581 Posts
I play a 50+ year old Buescher 400.
I've had good luck with the orange box bari reeds, but if I have a little extra in the reed budget I'll get a box of Hemke in a 2 or 2.5.
I've used Rico Royals on alto and tenor and they really aren't that much better for me than any of the other Rico offerings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts