Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1955 Conn 16M + 1973 Bundy 1 alto
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If all else were the same, what would be a good hardness to start with on a new mouthpiece having a 0.070 opening if I tend to use #2.5 reeds on a tenor mouthpiece having a 0.095 opening? Thanks.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,348 Posts
If all else were the same, what would be a good hardness to start with on a new mouthpiece having a 0.070 opening if I tend to use #2.5 reeds on a tenor mouthpiece having a 0.095 opening? Thanks.
Same maker? Same baffle? Same chamber? Same break point?

Yeah…

Want a WAG? 3.5

If that doesn’t work, try a 3.

But since you already have a 2.5, try that.

· Registered
1,540 Posts
hnthere, I don't know you, your horn, your mouthpiece, your brand of reed, your sound, your influences, your style, or your repertoire, but am gonna say... 3. I mean, you gotta start somewhere.

If you want a better-informed suggestion, you'll probably need to provide more info.

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I asked is that I don't have any tenor reeds harder than 2.5 so was wondering if the difference between a 0.095 and 0.070 tip opening is more in the range of a jump of 0.5 or of 1.0. My wrong reed choices don't hide in a drawer - they're out in the open to remind me of my bad choices every day.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,348 Posts
The reason I asked is that I don't have any tenor reeds harder than 2.5 so was wondering if the difference between a 0.095 and 0.070 tip opening is more in the range of a jump of 0.5 or of 1.0. My wrong reed choices don't hide in a drawer - they're out in the open to remind me of my bad choices every day.
You still fail to reveal what mouthpieces you are using, so the answers you receive will remain appropriately vague. Similarly, knowing the brand/model of reed matters.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,529 Posts
I would suggest that you try to get a sample pack of reads that goes from 2 to 4 from a brand of reeds that you already like. They’re not always easy to find, but sometimes you can. As a general principle, it is difficult to determine the strength of read based on tip opening. you could also start with a 2 1/2 reed and clip them, if you have a reed trimmer. All that being said, if you live near music shop and they will sell single reads from a pack just go buy a few of each. A sample size of one read is probably not enough to tell you everything that you need to know.

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Further details: I've been playing a HR Hite mouthpiece (0.095 tip) with #2.5 Gonzalez Jazz reeds on a Conn 16M.

I've been wanting to try a closer tip and have also been curious about the old Geo. Bundy 3 mouthpieces (rubber, not plastic). Thanks to a little impulsiveness, one is on its way. I posted that it has a 0.070 tip but I've learned that it probably is more like 0.078.

I have a tin of #2.5 Alexander NY reeds I had started breaking in but found to be harder than I like for my other mouthpiece. I'll try those on the new mouthpiece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts