Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got one of the black reed geek universal tools and it works great ... perfect to flatten the flat side for better seal, and to lighten up the curved side if a reed is too hard.

also great to clean residue off the reed

any lessons learned/tips?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love using the Reed Geek. One trick, of many, that I like to use is to even out the rails. That is the edges on the front of the reed, not the sides of the reed. I've noticed that on a lot of reeds, the rails are not smooth at all. I go over them lightly and get the bits that are sticking up.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know that your post has to do more with the Reed Geek use. However, had you done some searching before purchasing a reed geek, you could have saved yourself some money. Here is some info from a previous post of mine:

FYI- In addition to Harbor Freight, you can also obtain these from MSC Industrial Supply or Grainger. On MSC's site, just do a search for "Tool Bit Blanks" and you can select Material Grade, and the particular shape & size that you want. For the material grade, I choose M2 because that is what the one was from Harbor Freight that I had previously purchased.

I ended up purchasing from Grainger because, if you have the product shipped to your nearest Grainger location, you get free shipping. The ones from Grainger were a little more expensive than Harbor Freight but also the quality seemed slightly better for the price.

The edges from some of the blanks in the pack that I purchased from Harbor Freight seemed to have a few ever so slight imperfections. You really had to look closely to notice the imperfections though. Some of the edges were fine. The ones from Grainger were really nice. I would think that the ones from MSC would be of the same caliber as Grainger.

If I were in a pinch and really needed something super cheap & quick, I would buy again from Harbor Freight.

To be more specific:

On Grainger's web site, you would search for "M2 Tool Bit". Scroll down to where you see "Style" on the left hand side of the screen. You should choose "Square". The two that I purchased were Item #6ZKT5 the 2.5 inch length with the 1/4 inch shank width & height and also Item 6ZKT7 the 3 inch length with the 3/8 inch shank width & height which is slightly larger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts