Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reed geek has been great but after a LOT of use, a few falls and carting around I've 1) felt it's been losing it's mojo/edge and 2) I want more than 1.
Problem is, they cost a lot more than when they first came out.
After recommendation from a friend I tried buying these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3Pce-1-...h=item5b53ab65f5:g:bLMAAOSw6-BZ0wNM:rk:1:pf:0

The steel is super good, the edges super clean and after swishing it around on a sharpening stone is out-performs the reed geek. And they/re less than $4 each. You don't need the fancy ReedGeek shaped ends to works on reeds, these do it just fine........
I'm about to buy another 3.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,870 Posts
I have used success fully for years now a long pocket knife and a canoe whetstone the price of both is not even worth mentioning the value to me is inestimable. I use both to perform other tasks too.

·
7,904 Posts
I use an old piece of lathe tool steel also.
Works fine.
But all I really do is flatten the backs if they swell.
I used to use an old cut throat razor, but it got blunt very quickly.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My trusty Beretta pocket knife (the small one) works perfectly. DAVE
I use a small Opinel, which has the advantage that you can lock the blade. It's my daily pocket knife for anything, from cutting fruit and cheese to fine adjusting reeds. The rounded tip makes it very handy for that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The original Reed Geek is nothing more than an inexpensive mini lathe bit. A set of 5 bits having 4 which are usable to shave reeds can be obtained from numerous hardware and tool stores. E.g.:
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...hes-40641.html

I have been using the same lathe bit, which cost about 1$ US, to shave reeds for over five years. Every few months I rub it down with a small bit of mineral oil and I store it in a small vial.

From time to time, I have also used surgical scalpels, but they dull a bit too quickly - not to mention that it can be a bit dodgey to get them through airport security.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I keep a small Swiss-army style knife in each saxophone case. They cost about $12 and work great.

One does have to have a certain amount of manual dexterity to make a non flat surface flat with a pocket knife. But if you can sharpen a pencil with a knife you can surely scrape the back side of a reed flat.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Been saying that the "Reed Geek" is nothing more than a lathe bit since it first came out. Somebody is making a lot of money.

·
14,268 Posts
My Beretta pocket knife has a locking blade.

I've NEVER tried to, or felt the need to, adjust the flat back of a reed. I scrape the vamps and that has always worked to bring every reed into perfect playing condition - for me. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I'm not sure this is an answer you're looking for. But I'll give it anyway.

I've never used a reed geek. For at least 15 years now I've just used ordinary sand paper. I keep a few sheets in my wallet. Cut into 1 wide strip and 1 small strip.

If I feel I need to flatten the back of the reed in an emergency I'll use the wide strip on a flat surface. If I just want to balance it or remove some gunk I use the thin strip.

Almost never do I have to do this at a gig. But it's in my wallet just in case.

·
3,312 Posts
I do have and still use Reedgeek.
Does the job,but i agree that it surely is nt worth the money that they sell it.
Before that, i used for years drywall construction blades.
Did work just as well as the famous Reedgeek.
My regards
Saxobari

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Thx for the tip! I’m in the same boat, I have a reedgeek and use it often but I’d like a second and can’t justify that much for another. I was happy to support the product with the original purchase though, it’s a great idea and I do find it useful. But I agree that any edge works fine, I will sometimes use the cut away edge for finer reed adjustments but I can’t tell any difference if I use the correct edge or not, seems like any will do the trick.

·
Registered
233 Posts
FYI- In addition to Harbor Freight, you can also obtain these from MSC Industrial Supply or Grainger. On MSC's site, just do a search for "Tool Bit Blanks" and you can select Material Grade, and the particular shape & size that you want. For the material grade, I choose M2 because that is what the one was from Harbor Freight that I had previously purchased.

I ended up purchasing from Grainger because, if you have the product shipped to your nearest Grainger location, you get free shipping. The ones from Grainger were a little more expensive than Harbor Freight but also the quality seemed slightly better for the price.

The edges from some of the blanks in the pack that I purchased from Harbor Freight seemed to have a few ever so slight imperfections on some of the edges. You really had to look closely to notice the imperfections though. Some of the edges were fine. The ones from Grainger were really nice. I would think that the ones from MSC would be of the same caliber as Grainger.

If I were in a pinch and really needed something super cheap & quick, I would buy again from Harbor Freight.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
FYI- In addition to Harbor Freight, you can also obtain these from MSC Industrial Supply or Grainger. On MSC's site, just do a search for "Tool Bit Blanks" and you can select Material Grade, and the particular shape & size that you want. For the material grade, I choose M2 because that is what the one was from Harbor Freight that I had previously purchased.

I ended up purchasing from Grainger because, if you have the product shipped to your nearest Grainger location, you get free shipping. The ones from Grainger were a little more expensive than Harbor Freight but also the quality seemed slightly better for the price.

The edges from some of the blanks in the pack that I purchased from Harbor Freight seemed to have a few ever so slight imperfections on some of the edges. You really had to look closely to notice the imperfections though. Some of the edges were fine. The ones from Grainger were really nice. I would think that the ones from MSC would be of the same caliber as Grainger.

If I were in a pinch and really needed something super cheap & quick, I would buy again from Harbor Freight.

Just my thoughts.
thanks for the good info. What is the product number and/or name for the Grainger products?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I'm not sure this is an answer you're looking for. But I'll give it anyway.

I've never used a reed geek. For at least 15 years now I've just used ordinary sand paper. I keep a few sheets in my wallet. Cut into 1 wide strip and 1 small strip.

If I feel I need to flatten the back of the reed in an emergency I'll use the wide strip on a flat surface. If I just want to balance it or remove some gunk I use the thin strip.

Almost never do I have to do this at a gig. But it's in my wallet just in case.
I found some 220 grid in the clearance section at Lowe's that are fabric backed and that stuff is perfect. It is super thin and smooth and you can cut strips and just roll them up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
On Grainger's web site, you would search for "M2 Tool Bit". Scroll down to where you see "Style" on the left hand side of the screen. You should choose "Square". The two that I purchased were Item #6ZKT5 the 2.5 inch length with the 1/4 inch shank width & height and also Item 6ZKT7 the 3 inch length with the 3/8 inch shank width & height which is slightly larger.

·
Registered
506 Posts
On Grainger's web site, you would search for "M2 Tool Bit". Scroll down to where you see "Style" on the left hand side of the screen. You should choose "Square". The two that I purchased were Item #6ZKT5 the 2.5 inch length with the 1/4 inch shank width & height and also Item 6ZKT7 the 3 inch length with the 3/8 inch shank width & height which is slightly larger.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts