Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just a quick question. i recently upgraded my mouthpiece to a Selmer S80 C* . Are there any certain gauge of reed that work well with this mouthpiece? im currently using vandoren 2's. would it be worth going for something a little harder? thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
asht89 said:
Hey just a quick question. i recently upgraded my mouthpiece to a Selmer S80 C* . Are there any certain gauge of reed that work well with this mouthpiece? im currently using vandoren 2's. would it be worth going for something a little harder? thanks
Not necessarily. Stick with that set up for a while rather than messing about with reeds. It's a perfectly decent set up to play the entire range perfectly and easily in tune.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RootyTootoot said:
Not necessarily. Stick with that set up for a while rather than messing about with reeds. It's a perfectly decent set up to play the entire range perfectly and easily in tune.
i suppose my best bet would be to use the 2s for a while and mabye try some harder ones too, compare them. from what i can gather anyway, reed thickness seems to be more about personal preference, rather than the type of mouthpiece used. thanks for the advice :)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
IMO a #2 on that mpc is to get you started. As soon as you can do so comfortably, I would move up to a #2.5 with the goal of eventually getting to a #3. Too soft a reed and you are likely to have it close up on you in upper register playing when you play there with power and still need to maintain pitch.

...keeping in mind all reed strengths are not exaxtly the same from brand to brand (or from reed to reed). FWIW, I'm using Vandoren Blue Box reeds as my reference in this post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts