Sax on the Web Forum banner

Reed/Embouchure Problem

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  turf3 
#1 ·
Hello! I have recently have had a problem after transitioning to a different brand of reeds. When I play any note lower than middle G I play it but it seems uncomfortable. It’s hard to explain the feeling but whenever I play a note like low e or something I can play it correctly but it feels like I am on the edge of playing the higher octave if I just loosen up my mouth a little. I can comfortably play all the notes that require an octave key without pressing on it and while that may be a good thing it gets weird when i get to the low notes. I have also tried practicing long tones but it doesn't help. I can’t play the note really loud either because it just plays the octave up. I hope that makes sense It’s hard to explain. I know it is not the horn itself because I have tried it on multiple saxophones and I have the same outcome. Can any of you help me?? Btw I have been switching between Rico La Voz Medium Hard and Vandoren ZZ 3 1/2 and my mouthpiece is a JodyJazz HR 7*

#2 ·
You sound somewhat inexperienced. Reeds are all different and it seems to me the new reeds are harder than the previous. Go back to what you were playing before. If you are a younger or more inexperienced player, a 7* mouthpiece may be too much for you with a ZZ 3.5 or LaVoz MH reed. I think this set-up would be hard for me and I probably would have no low register at all with it. Obviously there are others on here who would not find it a hard set-up but if you are a beginner it is very hard.

#3 ·
Try going down to a Vandoren ZZ 2 or 2 1/2. That is way too stiff for a 7* tip opening.

Sure, some “experienced” players may go to a stiff reed, but you don’t have to. Playing the tenor with a full sound, good control, and wide dynamics does NOT have to be hard work.

Seriously, the main stay rule-of-thumb for decades was an Otto Link 7* (.105”) and a Rico 2 1/2 reed. Check the reed strength comparison charts to see how other brands compare in stiffness.

#4 ·
A leak somewhere in the upper part of the saxophone can produce the same effect on the notes below G. You might want to have that checked out just to rule out that possibility. Sometimes a saxophone that is playing poorly can create poor playing habits on the part of the player.

#6 ·
The OP stated that this issue follows from horn to horn.

Hello! I have recently have had a problem after transitioning to a different brand of reeds. When I play any note lower than middle G I play it but it seems uncomfortable. It's hard to explain the feeling but whenever I play a note like low e or something I can play it correctly but it feels like I am on the edge of playing the higher octave if I just loosen up my mouth a little. I can comfortably play all the notes that require an octave key without pressing on it and while that may be a good thing it gets weird when i get to the low notes. I have also tried practicing long tones but it doesn't help. I can't play the note really loud either because it just plays the octave up. I hope that makes sense It's hard to explain. I know it is not the horn itself because I have tried it on multiple saxophones and I have the same outcome. Can any of you help me?? Btw I have been switching between Rico La Voz Medium Hard and Vandoren ZZ 3 1/2 and my mouthpiece is a JodyJazz HR 7*
It sounds like the OP is already succombing to bad habits from playing a too-stiff reed.

#7 ·
I would have said that's a classic sign of a leak, but if it happens on several different horns (assuming they don't all have leaks) and it started when you changed reeds, then yes it seems like a reed issue. And those reeds you are playing are very hard. Why play such hard reeds? Try some more medium-strength reeds in the 2.5 range.

#8 ·
When I was 24 years old and playing almost nightly in a loud rock and roll band, with chops like iron, I used a #3 or #2.5 reed on my Dukoff D7 tenor piece, which is probably about the same opening as your Link copy 7star; and I had trouble getting a good response in the lower register.

For comparison, I am now 57 years old with over 40 years of playing experience and I play as my primary tenor piece a Meyer #8 (I think it's about 0.090" opening) with 2.5 Vandoren reeds.

Why do you think you need to work so hard? If you will go to a reasonable reed strength and PRACTICE you will find that you can play just as loud with good response in all registers and the ability to play from pianissimo to fortissimo. Also when you are not struggling just to get the note to sound, your technique and tone will improve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.