Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So, I recently started using Vandoren blue box reeds (2.5) with my Otto Link 5*.
I have started to squeak a bit when playing louder, so I think it may be time to get a stiffer reed.
However, I am unsure if I want the same reeds but stronger, or if I want to try something different.
I like Vandoren reeds because they are very consistent. I have been looking at the JAVA Reds because I like the filed sound.

However,
my problem is: should i get the blue box 3s, or get the Java Reds at 3.5?
I was looking on Amazon, and their sizing chart says that the corresponding strength from blue to red is 3->3.5

Thanks a lot,
DeadlyTemper

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure reeds are causing the squeak ? 2.5 Blue Box are like most other brands 3's. Tenor / Alto ?
Fairly confident it is the reeds. I spoke with my sax teacher, and he says its pretty likely. Also, the squeaks mainly happen when i try and play louder, so I reckon its from crushing.
I play tenor.
Also, the Amazon vandoren thing has a chart that shows some strengths and stuff, but I am not sure how accurate they are: https://www.amazon.com/Vandoren-SR2...D=41jqeR1l2sL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sorry but doesn't sound right to me, sounds like a technique issue. I used same reeds on a S80 C* Tenor, and S80 E Soprano - Never got a squeak. Can you do your overtone right up to triple octave ?

Mouthpiece, ligature, instrument - Are these in sound working order ? If they are then perhaps you may consider the tip opening of your mouthpiece as a potential factor. If not a factor then:

overtones, long notes will fix the issue.

What does your teacher say ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Are you sure that you are squeaking? A squeak is something more often heard when playing the clarinet and is essentially an unintentional high-pitched overtone often caused by poor finger placement over an open hole. They do happen on the sax, but not often.

Are you sure you're not chirping? If so, it may be a mouthpiece issue and not the reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Fairly confident it is the reeds. I spoke with my sax teacher, and he says its pretty likely. Also, the squeaks mainly happen when i try and play louder, so I reckon its from crushing.
From "crushing"? I don't know what that means. Chances are it is either technique issue (you're doing something different/bad when you play louder... do you tighten up significantly? Or it's a bad/uneven facing on the mouthpiece, which definitely is possible on an off-the-shelf Link.

I'd clean the mouthpiece and ask your teacher to try playing it, see if he has the same issues.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
I play tenor.
What is your teacher's main instrument?

What do you mean by "crushing"? Biting? If so, stop biting.

It sounds like you have embouchure and air support issues more than reed issues. But hey, what do I know? I haven't been able to squeak or chirp in the last 40+ years of playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Hah! Listen to Buddy. He must type faster than me.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
I have started to squeak a bit when playing louder, so I think it may be time to get a stiffer reed.
This makes no sense whatsoever. Stiffer reeds don't stop squeakes.

Squeaks are caused by emouchure issues, bad mouthpiece or lgature fit, or leaks in your horn.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Also, the squeaks mainly happen when i try and play louder, so I reckon its from crushing.
I play tenor.
I'm in agreement with those who are saying you don't need a harder reed (2.5 Blue Box is not a soft reed) to stop those squeaks. You do need to stop 'crushing' the reed when playing louder, though. Biting/crushing down on the reed is the last thing you want to do when increasing the volume. To play louder, increase your air speed; I see it as simply 'blowing harder,' while also keeping a relatively relaxed embouchure. If you are biting too much, then using a harder reed will almost certainly result in biting down even more. So that's not the solution.

It wouldn't hurt to try a different brand of reed or a different mpc. But you definitely need to address the embouchure issue.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in agreement with those who are saying you don't need a harder reed (2.5 Blue Box is not a soft reed) to stop those squeaks. You do need to stop 'crushing' the reed when playing louder, though. Biting/crushing down on the reed is the last thing you want to do when increasing the volume. To play louder, increase your air speed; I see it as simply 'blowing harder,' while also keeping a relatively relaxed embouchure. If you are biting too much, then using a harder reed will almost certainly result in biting down even more. So that's not the solution.

It wouldn't hurt to try a different brand of reed or a different mpc. But you definitely need to address the embouchure issue.
Actually, it turned out I was just using a bad reed.
I tried some other reeds, and after I found a good one, the issue stopped.
However, I do intend to get some other reeds.
Since this post, I went ahead and bought one of those 4 Vandoren mixed reed thingies at strength 3, only because the chart coincides this with 2.5.
Sorry for this post.

Side note: it was chirping not squeaking.
Also, my sax teacher plays tenor and teaches at some music school in NYC; I forgot which one.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This makes no sense whatsoever. Stiffer reeds don't stop squeakes.

Squeaks are caused by emouchure issues, bad mouthpiece or lgature fit, or leaks in your horn.
You're completely right on this.
BTW, I just realized you run tamingthesaxophone. I love your site; keep up the good work. It is my go-to reading whenever I am bored.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Actually, it turned out I was just using a bad reed.
I tried some other reeds, and after I found a good one, the issue stopped.
However, I do intend to get some other reeds.
Since this post, I went ahead and bought one of those 4 Vandoren mixed reed thingies at strength 3, only because the chart coincides this with 2.5.
Sorry for this post.

Side note: it was chirping not squeaking.
Also, my sax teacher plays tenor and teaches at some music school in NYC; I forgot which one.
can you find out ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts