Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all.

I've been having trouble storing reeds and I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. I bought one of those fancy selmer cases that holds 5 alto reeds, and it does a good job, so I bought another one which somehow does not do a good job. reeds seem to warp when drying. upon examination I noticed that the pad on top which comes down to put pressure on the reed didn't seem to be the proper shape to apply pressure to the reed tips. my other one is the proper shape. so I bought a vandoren case (not the really expensive one) and it to doesn't seem to keep the reed tips from warping when drying either.

does anyone have any advice on a reliable product or method of storing reeds that will ensure they dry unwarped after use? thank you all.

-bschap

· Registered
51 Posts
I've also had bad luck with the Selmer reed cases - my reeds seem to warp and the tips don't lay flat and often "crinkle". I've been using the Rico reed case with reed vitalizer packs for a couple of years now and have had excellent luck. I'd love to hear what other people have experienced too.

James

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,067 Posts
You bought 2 identical selmer reed cases, one works, and the other doesn't?

Pressure does not need to be applied for them to dry flat. If you left your reeds out to dry flat-side-down on a table or pane of glass they should dry flat.

· Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,359 Posts
doesn't matter. Put'em in your mouth, moisten them until they are not wavy, then play. the only thing that matters about a reed is how they play when prepared properly.
Nice to see someone bring reality into this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.