Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently changed back cane from Legeres and subsequently back to adjusting my reeds. I can't remember what I used to have to do when the reed was 'fine' throughout the horn, except for a note, or two in the lower register. With Legere's I didn't have this issue, they were just 'there' for me throughout the range of the horn. When the lower register is giving me problems (stuffy, tough), I adjust area 6, per this chart**, and it opens right up; sounds and feels great. But, there are those notes that have what feels equivalent to 'speed wobbles' that I used to get on my bike as a kid.

Adjustment suggestions?

**https://www.saxlessons.com/reeds/reed-adjustment-chart/

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I'd make sure the reed is balanced side-to-side before doing anything else. Tilt the mouthpiece to one side, which damps the reed on that side, check the response, then compare to the other side. I do this on the mouthpiece and neck alone, it's easier to tilt. Then sand in a triangle shape from the side that's stuffy/hard, toward the tip eventually covering about 1/2 the reed at the tip. Stay away from the heart! (X in your diagram)

I find that doing this and this alone usually resolves all reed issues. I have found diagrams like the one you posted to be hit-and-miss, though I know people that swear by them.

The reason I sand in the triangle shape, that is, from the side to the tip, is to preserve the contour of the reed, and not make any divots in the vamp. 400 grit sandpaper, and sand lightly. The problem with sanding specific areas is that you can easily make one part of the reed thinner than the surrounding area, and that's a sound killer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
An old trick to 'free up' the low register is to score across the vamp with a sharp knife a couple of times. Go in about a millimetre if the rest of the range of notes are ok there's no need to mess with any where else. When you have done wet the reed thoroughly and massage the area with your thumb. This hack has worked for me for decades.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for replying!

I adjust my reeds in ways that are either similar, or exactly how you both have suggested, and the results are good. I still have a few reeds that 'warble' or 'wobble' on certain notes. My instinct is to blame my air stream, etc, but it doesn't happen with synthetics, and several other canes. I think I'm just not able to get it balanced completely (I do this using the technique Steve suggested). I have a Weed Rizard on its way, maybe that will take care of the situation.

But... I'm still wide open to other suggestions :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts