Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to be able to join a 62-piece band for a recording session last weekend. The recording auditorium had mics all over the place, many of which I recognised since I have a small recording den at home and have therefore dipped a toe into the microphone swamp. There were Rodes, Oktavas, AKGs and other familiar name mics, but the mics on the alto and tenor saxes I didn't recognise, so I took a closer look. These were badged as RED5 AUDIO RV6 and looked like large diaphragm cardioids. I had a chat with the recording engineer about them and he confirmed that they are LDCs. He rated them as good as some of the top name brands and better than most others, and he particularly liked them on saxes. I was astonished to discover that these mics retail for just £57 and come with a hard case, shock mount and pop cover. At that price it was a mandatory purchase for my home setup, and I can't wait to give it a workout.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I thought it would be a good idea to report on this budget mic now that I've had it a couple of days.

First things first, it's a massive chunk of microphone which feels big and beefy in the hand. It actually weighs in at 530g (just over 1lb in old money) which has got to be one of the heaviest LDCs around. The shock mount which comes with it is also very solidly built and together they give the impression that this is a pretty bomb proof combination.

It's spec sensitivity of -36dB, which if I've got my sums right is around 16mV/pa, seems about right because at the same gain setting it gives me around the same level on the DAW as my other mics with similar sensitivity specs. The only 'equipment' I've got to measure the mic's performance is my ears. I've got a couple of other budget LDCs to compare it to and I have to say that the RV6 seems 'brighter' than either of those on solo tenor sax, and it produces a very clean acoustic guitar as well. Picking adjectives to describe what you hear is never easy, but I think bright, clean, crisp and natural does this mic justice. I can see why that recording engineer liked it on saxes.

The bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that this mic cost me just 57 quid which is quite unbelievable really. I think this raises the bar on budget LDCs for home recordists like me so well done Red5 Audio - thanks a lot !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts