Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a red plastic custom bari mouthpiece a while ago, the ones with the spoiler inside. The problem is that the edge of my reeds, (Vandoren 3 1/2) are too wide for the tip of the mouthpiece. Is there something wrong with the reeds I'm using, or is it the mouthpiece? It may also be possible that the facing is too high, which would add to the difficulty in playing

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I rummaged around in the drawer and found an old Vandoren reed. It is indeed a bit wider.

Is there something wrong with the reeds you're using? Well, I gave up on them years ago because they were a poor value - inconsistent from one reed to the next, from one day to the next, I often didn't like what I had, and they were expensive. I liked the extra width, though, since I was using them with bass sax. It sounds like you don't like that, which would be a mark against them for you. If you like them otherwise, I guess you could trim down the tips.

Mine is a red Custom 10, by the way. I don't use the spoiler. I believe that's about like a Link 8, at the tip, though the Runyon facing is longer. I have a medium soft Fibracell on there now, which is probably a little too soft. Your reeds might be hard for that opening, not sure.

The one real reed disaster I've had with this mouthpiece was a Bari plastic reed. Bari reeds worked for me on fat, large chamber mouthpieces, but on this Custom, the narrow profile and the long open facing can literally bite your lip with hard plastic reed. Not that it's a great sound anyway.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
It's no big deal if the reed is a little wider than the rails. Not all reed brands are cut to the same length or width. If they don't seal or play well, then try different reeds, as they just might not be the best match for you and/ or that piece.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts