Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, please do not bite me head off, I have seen plenty bogus far eastern instruments with red everything, however, I was speaking to a French collector and he was miffed that nobody re-pads with red, so much so as he started making his own pads for his saxes- I guess it is a personal thing. Now, having spent some 20 years in the Antiques industry and restoring a lot of items with vintage leather I cannot see why it is problematic to just use I high quality leather dye.I am in the middle of doing one as we speak and when i stripped it, inside were the original red leather pads looking very sorry for themselves, so because i feel that way inclined I decided to buy a set of pads- quality ones as I would never use cheap and I took about dyeing them which took a while considering it had to be done properly and re finished so that the end result is as if they were purchased that way...i.e. if you do not get something like this right they could end up sticky and awful.I was just wondering if anyone knows where one could actually source them without having to go above and beyond so to speak, this project it taking a lot of time up!

·
Registered
761 Posts
learn to make your own :)

I watched a youtube video once of an old dutch instrument repairer whilst being filmed and interviewed made a replacement pad in about five minutes, milandro could possible help out here and post the clip as he almost certainly knows it. You could then make them from properly treated and coloured leather, including Kangaroo which I have to say seem great and less sticky pads, that is the Music Medic Extreme Roo pads I had fitted to my Limeted edition Selmer which has white pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,286 Posts
I like a red pad, particularly on a silver horn.
Especially if it’s a Dolnet.
This thing about Roos being non stick is rubbish.
Yes that’s right I am Australian, but I’m also aware that this is not true.
Roo pads are limited in that they are generally available in one thickness and are a reasonably rim pad.
Not an issue if your tech is skilled in their installation, but also not as forgiving if short cuts are taken.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I would think twice about installing pads that in any way resemble those in the SOS (saxophone shaped objects) coming from India and China---but that's just me. You can do as you like. :) I love the white roos from Music Medic. I have them in my own alto and install a lot of them in vintage sax repads. I love how they look in a silver plated sax---especially with the seamless domed resos. Here they are in a True Tone Soprano.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Like a white shirt or pants... they look great until they start getting dirty.
I wonder why bassoons traditionally have white pads.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Hollis & Germann Music in Pittsburgh uses red pads on some of their high-end overhauls. My friend has red pads on his silver Selmer Series III soprano.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Like a white shirt or pants... they look great until they start getting dirty.
I wonder why bassoons traditionally have white pads.
Mine have held up really well. Every few years when I disassemble my silver alto for polishing, I use a white art eraser to clean up the pads which works quite well. It is no more work than cleaning traditional pads with naptha. If there is soiling from a grease like substance, cleaning them with tolulene does the trick. :)

Pad cleaned with tolulene.jpg Closeup of eraser cleaned pad.jpg

@saxoclese Very Nice!
Thanks.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Mine have held up really well. Every few years when I disassemble my silver alto for polishing, I use a white art eraser to clean up the pads which works quite well. It is no more work than cleaning traditional pads with naptha. If there is soiling from a grease like substance, cleaning them with tolulene does the trick. :)
Nice! What other use(s) are there for tolulene? I've never used it and is it similar to naptha in what it does? (Yes, for those of you who might jump on me........I DO know how to use google. Just thought I'd ask someone who uses it).

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Nice! What other use(s) are there for tolulene? I've never used it and is it similar to naptha in what it does? (Yes, for those of you who might jump on me........I DO know how to use google. Just thought I'd ask someone who uses it).
Tolulene is pretty nasty stuff. It should only be used in small amounts with good ventilation. Along with naptha and acetone, tolulene is a common solvent and thinner for some paints and lacquers. You can get it in most hardware and paint stores. I keep all three of these solvents on hand in my shop in case one doesn't do the job an other one might. If you clean a white roo with tolulene it will first turn to a nasty green color. Don't panic. When it evaporates the pad will be white once more.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Search for toluene.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Tolulene is pretty nasty stuff. It should only be used in small amounts with good ventilation. Along with naptha and acetone, tolulene is a common solvent and thinner for some paints and lacquers. You can get it in most hardware and paint stores. I keep all three of these solvents on hand in my shop in case one doesn't do the job an other one might. If you clean a white roo with tolulene it will first turn to a nasty green color. Don't panic. When it evaporates the pad will be white once more.
Thank you! That's pretty much what I figured. I regularly use Acetone and Naptha for various things and it's good to know that there's another solvent to possibly find a use for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,506 Posts
I have had withe roo pads for many years now and aside from the more or less slight discoloration of the left hand palm keys ( which tend to collect a lot of moisture staying trapped and not drying up since they are closed).

They did stick a little in the beginning (and I’ve treated them with my secret method described here many many times before, look it up) but they have never made the “kissing” sound which would positively drive me nuts (and made me sell a Martin alto that I had had refurbished with new pads).

The Roo pads after years of use are still sealing perfectly as my tech (and my leak light ) tells me.

I have spares which I keep just in case but it turns out I was overcautious.

Nothing prevents anyone from installing red pads.

Red pads were for a long time the signature pad for Dolnet exactly like green ones were for Grassi.

They both had beautiful domed, seamless, metal resonators. Those were the days!

Both brands of course no longer exist but it is possible to buy red pads or indeed to make or have your own pads made.

I believe that Music Medic might provide you with custom made pads with leather of your choice.

There are Chinese pads ( that I wouldn’t recommend )in red available on line. They come with pretty horrible plastic resonators.

In Taiwan there is or was a pad factory by Mr. Tom Guo whom could make any manner of leather pads but I doubt that he would do so for less than a substantial number of sets.

All factories will do this if you order enough.

Incidentally Tom Guo had years ago porcelain resonators for his pads which never caught on but were really very dandy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please excuse but is it OCD that possesses me to keep opening and closing a 'kissing key' and strangely enough I find it incredibly annoying, my sml has had this on the G# key and in the end I had to remodel the key heel and add a stronger spring and was oh such a relief when it stopped it dead. I do like the Buescher with white Roo's it looks gorgeous though I must admit I done one- New aristocrat and used the original snaps and used black pads.. it did look nice, a couple of not so nice pics below.

Re the red pads, well, those sax shaped objects use a bright pillar box red colour and the pads which I am certain were original that came out were close to a deep burgundy red, it has taken me near on a week getting the pads right and finished and the result is not bad at all for a beginner, they just need putting in now.

Thank you for the hint re Musicmedic and red pads, I actually ordered some other pads for my personal tenor today, I shall have to ask what the prices would be as would save a lot of trouble and I wonder what shade they are.. we shall see.

Buescher New Aristocrat Alto saxophone (16).jpg Buescher New Aristocrat Alto saxophone (15).jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few years ago I purchased a clarinet off of somewhere you all know and I am absolutely certain that the seller his all the pads out of view because I just did not see any, when the clarinet arrived it was one of those but 'A clarinet shaped object' which I wrote to the seller that did not know anything about them- :doubt: and politely said that this was not actually a clarinet but some form of toy, luckily I received a refund and the object went up in the next available bonfire night, I just read Milandro's fabulous post in 2013! about the red padded things, sadly they are still getting through, there are also trumpet and trombone shaped objects too and they all have this pillar box red in them somewhere!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Anything that is used to colour pads has a good chance of making the surface more sticky against a tone hole.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts