Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
i have this record. It's really quite good. There is another where they add Al Cohn, also very good.

Here it is:

·
3,230 Posts
Another from the same era in Los Angeles is: Bud Shank Plays Tenor. There is a strong concept of tone and ideas uniting all those guys. Phil Urso and Jack Montrose were two others who share that style.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mascio, I have not heard the one with Al Cohn before, I'll check that out. I've been enjoying a lot of Pacific Jazz and similar lately, especially Gil Melle.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This era of jazz gets overlooked way too much. Here's a great one by Gil Melle who ended up doing cool and weird sci fi sound tracks and electronics in the 60's and 70's

·
3,230 Posts
This era of jazz gets overlooked way too much. Here's a great one by Gil Melle who ended up doing cool and weird sci fi sound tracks and electronics in the 60's and 70's

This is really nice Jim. Art Farmer and Hal McKusick had a working quintet for awhile and i have a couple of their records; very good stuff.

BTW i'm still digging that Four Star Model you sold me a couple of years back. It is the sweetest sounding piece i own, so thanks again for that.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Ah Pacific Jazz. Led me astray, that label did. When I heard the album "Hoagy Sings Carmichael", with Art Pepper's amazing alto floating in and around Hoagy's voice, it just killed me. I was 10 when I first heard that record, and thought "I want to sound like that". That recording still does it for me :)

https://www.jazzdisco.org/pacific-jazz-records/catalog-1200-series/#pj-1223

I never did sound like that, but that record makes me smile and laugh every time I hear it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts