Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently (one month ago) had a stroke. I have not sustained any debilitating conditions and have been trying to slowly get back into playing music. I really don't have a problem playing the flute but there is major discomfort when I attempt to play the sax. I'm getting weird sensations in the head, ears and nasal cavity. Has anyone sustained a stroke and if so how long did it take before you were able to play again. Also, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,329 Posts
Most unfortunate to hear about your stroke, fortunately you haven’t suffered the worst that this could deliver.

There is another written by J.Max a fellow member whom suffered a stroke and lived to tell the tale of his experience with this. Maybe you will find there some advice and solace.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70049-So-I-had-a-minor-stroke

I wasn't going to talk about this too much, because it really isn't as big of a deal as it sounds, but...I've had massive headaches for a few weeks now, and I went to the doctor who sent me for an MRI...it indicated a stroke that happened "sometime in the recent past". Not good, especially at age 33. My question is: what effect does this have on playing? I have no lingering effects, but I'm worried that if I play something with too much resistance that it might cause problems. The doctors have put me on a bunch of medications, but no one was able to give me a great answer on this question.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I'm a stroke victim. I can no longer play woodwinds, or even French horn, so been struggling with trumpet for the last year. Progress has not been good, so I can empathise.

Regarding your specific problem, share that info with your neurologist. Internet's not the best place to get medical advice on your specific problem. Keep in mind that, depending on the severity of your stroke, your mind will have to re-learn some tasks, sometimes even basic ones, or re-learn the same tasks but doing them differently. In my case, what brought on my strokes was a congestion in blood flow in the brain, which still can affect dizziness, etc. There might be, in your case, a difference in pressure on the brain that you don't get on flute as opposed to sax.

In any case, see your neurologist. And good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discuss the symptoms with a neurologist. They will consider the 2 branches of the nerve that "feels" in those areas as well as the branches of the nerves that tell the muscles in those areas what to do. They may stick needles into some of those muscles to check their electrical activity. Ask him/her whether it would be of benefit to consult with a speech therapist. Speech therapists specifically work with those areas and the function of the muscles that you use playing. IF you can find one who specializes in wind players they may have some specific approaches for you as well as specific insight into the difference you experience with flute/sax.
S/he may also have you move your eyes to check on some other nerves that are found near those other nerves. Hopefully you get a very solid workup.
Often with stroke, function returns on its own and symptoms resolve, and while I sincerely wish you that outcome, it doesn't always occur so please follow up with those professionals. Finally, although it seems likely that the symptoms are a result of the stroke, it is not necessarily so. Clinicians are sometimes misled by the obvious, and miss the hidden condition that is happening at the same time. That is not as likely, but something to keep in mind, keep your main physician in the loop and doing what s/he can to assess. I wish you fast uncomplicated recovery!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Discuss the symptoms with a neurologist. They will consider the 2 branches of the nerve that "feels" in those areas as well as the branches of the nerves that tell the muscles in those areas what to do. They may stick needles into some of those muscles to check their electrical activity. Ask him/her whether it would be of benefit to consult with a speech therapist. Speech therapists specifically work with those areas and the function of the muscles that you use playing. IF you can find one who specializes in wind players they may have some specific approaches for you as well as specific insight into the difference you experience with flute/sax.
S/he may also have you move your eyes to check on some other nerves that are found near those other nerves. Hopefully you get a very solid workup.
Often with stroke, function returns on its own and symptoms resolve, and while I sincerely wish you that outcome, it doesn't always occur so please follow up with those professionals. Finally, although it seems likely that the symptoms are a result of the stroke, it is not necessarily so. Clinicians are sometimes misled by the obvious, and miss the hidden condition that is happening at the same time. That is not as likely, but something to keep in mind, keep your main physician in the loop and doing what s/he can to assess. I wish you fast uncomplicated recovery!
Thank you SaxBass
, I appreciate your advice and well wishes!

·
Registered
255 Posts
One month is a very short period for stroke recovery. I don’t know where your stroke has been located and even though you don’t notice much deficit it still might have been a bigger stroke for example on the right side of the cortex. Your symptoms are not specific for some part of the brain. 3-6 month would be a good period of time to slow down a bit. There can be some recovery of brain functions after years, so don’t get frustrated.

I've recently (one month ago) had a stroke. I have not sustained any debilitating conditions and have been trying to slowly get back into playing music. I really don't have a problem playing the flute but there is major discomfort when I attempt to play the sax. I'm getting weird sensations in the head, ears and nasal cavity. Has anyone sustained a stroke and if so how long did it take before you were able to play again. Also, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts